Protecting avocado trees in winter

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Surfer, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    We have two avocado trees that are 5 - 7 years old and stand about 1.5m high. They are both in large pots which has allowed us to bring them into the conservatory which is not heated. On one or tow occasions we have taken them out to have an unexpected late frost, but they survived.

However moving them in and out is now getting a bit much for us and we are wondering if there is anyway we can protect them during the winter if left outside. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi

the problem with large plants and large pots ... I have bought my self a hand truck from homebase works a treat and so easy to move pots around ... otherwise you will have to create something frost free ,,, do they lose their leaves over winter ?
      upload_2023-7-4_13-23-20.jpeg

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,632
      As always it depends on how hard the winter is, one like last year could well finish them off or one like the year before and they could sail through without a scratch.
      House walls facing south are good micro climates if you have one, if not a winter sunny fence or garden wall.

Maybe wrap the pots loosely in thick fleece and lightly wrap the branches with fleece during cold spells, but be prepared to drag into the conservatory if it gets arctic.

I think there are some biggish ones growing planted out in places like London and possibly coastal areas so they are capable of taking a few degrees of frost but as with a lot of these things, size matters mostly trunk thickness and I'd say 1.5m tall is still not very big?

• Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      We were thinking of donating them to a botanical gardens somewhere along the Devon or Dorset coast where it may be slightly warmer, but I guess they probably will not be interested?

We do have a trolley, but unfortunately it will probably bend under the weight of the pot and tree. Early days still, but we will try and make a plan. Thanks.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,632
      What size pots do you have them in?
      Any pictures?