Protection : Cages

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Darren2993, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Darren2993

Darren2993 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone, I was watching an episode of something on the television, I can’t recall the name but it was all about growing your own.

Featured on the show was these like metal mesh tunnel cloches used for protecting against birds and squirrels etc but I have since googled and cannot find anything. Has anyone seen these or know what they are called and where to get them?

Thanks

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,322
    Hi,

Lots around, just depends on the size you want ?

Also Ytubes on how to make your own from rolls of Chicken Wire.

001153.jpg

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,446
    I knock up my own out of canes with upturned plastic bottles to support the mesh. The mesh size depends on what you are protecting. I use butterfly netting on my brassicas to keep out the cabbage whites. On soft fruit I use a cheaper bird netting.

Some people make cages out of plastic pipe, cut into size and bent into hoop shapes.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +49,446
      I use chicken wire to protect my strawberries against squirrels I made a frame out of 2x1 battens. With removable lids for picking.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +123,176
        I have chicken wire around the veggie area to keep the rabbits out and hang old CD's on string hung between posts that keep the pigeons etc out. The continual movement of the CD's and them flashing in the sun (they give change of light flashes even when there isn't any sunshine) keeps them away.

• Like Like x 2
        • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,046
          I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m roll though and it is only two widths, 2m or 3m. It keeps deer and rabbits uninterested too. Doesn't work for carrot fly unfortunately.

It also works well as a windbreak