1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pruning a birch, advice required

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Concrete_Garden, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Concrete_Garden

Concrete_Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Moved house six months ago, the garden is rather....mature I suppose you could say. There is birch tree which dominates the garden.

I know little about trees and looking after them. The tree create a lot of shade, and I looking for advice on how I can reduce it size without ruining it's aesthetics to prevent it from growing huge. I have no idea how big it could get. Picture attached.

Anybody have advice to offer?

Attached Files:

2. Tetters

Tetters Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,354
    Good morning @Concrete_Garden and welcome to the forums.
    Although I have topped out a few of my trees, I wouldn`t prune back any of the Birch trees (and I have grown several of these here) The Birch is likely to suffer if the top is taken out, and seems to rot easily if you do. As the shade from this tree is quite dappled, you can actually grow a lot of stuff under it - not like heavy shade from other trees.
    So, I would leave well alone and enjoy your Birch as it is. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +7,212
      Welcome to Gardener's Corner.Your tree looks pretty nice to me. From the look of the bark it is Birch Jacquemontii having the lovely white bark. It will look lovely in the winter when the branches are bare. I would leave it alone but if you desperately want to reduce the tree's size please don't do it now (bad for the tree and maybe there might be a bird nesting in it). Birch are best pruned in late summer/autumn as if you prune now the tree will "bleed" a lot which will weaken it.

• Agree Agree x 2