Pruning and cutting back

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fi, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Fi

Fi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have been trying to create a floppy, country garden and bought a few perennials earlier this year - only now I dont know how to take care of them over the winter!!! What do I cut back, prune, leave alone or remove? Oh and I have lost most of the labels - not very practical!! I have coneflower (echinacea Kim Knee High)and another plant that looks just like it only its yellow I thinks its something like echinea?? 3 times of geranium - which didnt flower a lot but IO have hundreds of lovely leaves and Butterfly lavendars. I also bought campanulas which are still flowering - should I cut any of these back - should I bed them in tree bark or should I give up?? Please help. For the first time ever I am trying really hard to have a friendly warm garden, summer was great but I am really worred I will lost my 'new friends' during the winter!!
    Thanks folks

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    "coneflower" - can be left, the seed heads are liked by the gold finches. Cut back the dead stems in spring.

"yellow I thinks its something like echinea??" - sounds like rudbeckia, and that too can be left as above.

"3 types of geranium" - depends what you mean by geranium, if its pelagonium then they will not overwinter, not frost hardy, and hate the wet. either lift them and put them in pots in a neglected cool but sunny room, or take cuttings.

"Butterfly lavendars" - cut back after flowering removing most of this seasons growth, but not all.

"campanulas which are still flowering" - leave em alone not certain of the variety but most are hardy. The frost will cut them back but they will come again next year.

3. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    as a rule of thumb you pull out bedding plants and leave the rest, assuming you don t have a heated greenhouse
    for all the year round gardening, i buy a few plants every week, ok i like chaos but it helps me to have a wide range of plants to advise my customers, all my customers now have all the year round colour.. bulbs, heathers, viburnum and other evergreen shrubs

4. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    o sry. yes geraniums won t overwinter but are easy to keep in the house..... shake soil of roots, spray with bug gun and re pot, water minimum and take cuttings