Pruning Box Hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pistolpete, Aug 26, 2012.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have quite a few box hedge specimens dotted around the garden, I pruned them in early June to tidy up the shape. A number of the ball shaped ones now have lost their shape due to new growth since the last cut, is it ok to give them a 2nd prune in late August to tidy them up?

Pete

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say yes no probs...that's what i'm going to do:dbgrtmb:....can't believe the growth they've put on....:dbgrtmb:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes it's OK to give them another trim now as far as I know.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think its getting late and that late pruning Box can allow Box Blight to infect them, personally I would avoid trimming them after end July (I have read "not after end June" ...)

Also best, for same reason, to prune when it is dry (and will be dry for several days) so there is no additional moisture on cut surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      So i'd best leave it Kristen do you think....i'd be distraught if anything happened to them,it's taken over 2 years just to get 14" high and they've been through so much so far....eg...chooks digging them up...dogs trampleing on them:gaah:3ft of snow...it's just starting to look 'hedge' like...sort of...:)

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,359
      I remember Monty when trying to deal with his damaged Box hedge stating that he trimmed them too late and the resulting new growth was too new to handle the frost and burnt them badly.
      Ive always been told to trim them to shape once, in June but i think down here in the south late as July would be ok. Further north and with resulting colder earlier weather, i would stick to June.

G

• Like Like x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Yep i'll go with what you and Kristen say:ccheers:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Not something I know for definite, but if you want to play-the-odds I would advise not cutting it now.

Maybe cut it later next year [than this year - e.g. at end July] so that it retains shape into Autumn and through Winter? And try to do it during a drought :) (I'll make you a pinky-promise you can have a scorcher next year, OK?!)

Apparently a scorching summer is too hot for the blight spores, and kills them off, so folk who have blight would benefit from that too ...

• Like Like x 2
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Very useful reading for me thanks everybody. I have 2 large ball shaped Box which I didn't get round to pruning this year and had intended to give them a hair cut over the next few days. However I will refrain and wait till next year when we just might have a dry day!