Pruning climbing roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by NIGEL.B, Dec 3, 2006.

1. NIGEL.B

NIGEL.B Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning. At last the terrible gales have stopped! Whilst clearing up the fallout from last night it occured to me to buy a new arch for my pink climbing rose as the old one is wooden and not sturdy(as I have just dicovered).
    Please forgive me as this is probably a daft question for most gardeners,but when is it best to prune? The bush is about 10feet high and considering it is really entwined in the arch I think it needs some drastic action!Please can anyone help because it really is a lovely rose.

Many thanks
    Nigel(the novice)! :confused: :confused:

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think when's best isn't the issue for you, Nigel - it's "will I kill it if I do it now?" :D

And no, you almost certainly won't! We had a similar problem in February gales a few years back. I'd say, cut back as much as you need to disentangle it, re-do your arch, then tidy it up as you re-attach it in whatever way seems best.

Main thing to remember with pruning roses is always to prune to an outward facing bud, and with climbers , to have spurs of about 3 buds from each lateral (i.e. side shooting stem) so that you get plenty of flowers next year.

Here's a link to correct pruning cuts - apologies if the words granny eggs and suck spring to mind!!

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0201/rose_pruning.asp

3. NIGEL.B

NIGEL.B Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks dendrobium,I think I will give it a go next weekend.

Happy xmas
    Nigel