Pruning my shrubs...now?

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by Markymark, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    i have got three shrubs which are about five or six years old now...one is a sambucus nigra black lace, one a red robin (think that's what it is called) and one...well I'm not sure what it is but the flowers in spring are white and smell gorgeous! As I only have a small garden, I wanted to perhaps cut them right down this year to give my other perennials a chance of getting more light and becoming more established. They struggled last year and were clearly desperately seeking out the light. My question is, can I prune them now and if so, can I cut them down to almost ground level? I appreciate that they won't flower if I cut them right back, it's just that they are starting to show signs of growing now so I thought it best to cut them back before they do! Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    The Sambucus can be cut down as hard as you like, it will probably make a better shape then, arching from ground level .
    The Photinia looks more like P.davidiana than Red Robin can be pruned to shape rather than a hard prune.
    The spring flowering shrub, if it is a Philadelphus which is late spring flowering, can be pruned hard and will recover but will not flower for a couple of years. I would tend to prune that after it has flowered cutting out the older branches and leaving the younger vertical growths

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
      Ratings:
      +125
      Thanks so much...I will go with what you suggest :-)) here is another pic of the unknown shrub in leaf...I don't have one with it in flower...

Attached Files:

• scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
      +238
      that one looks like Philadelphus coronarius 'Aureus'

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125