Pruning to climb can I do it now

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Dropmore, Aug 6, 2024.

1. Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
    +137
    Hi all

My climbing rose the pilgrim is in its second year and onto its 4th grow/bloom set if that makes any sense. Up to now its had thin spindley stems and loads of blooms and been short very much like a small neat shrub but this time it's throwing up a few thicker longer canes up to 4 ft long but not many blooms.
    It's starting to look a bit of a mess so I'm thinking should I be giving it a bit of a prune.
    Also should I try to tie the longer canes horizontally on to my wires ( not sure how to do this ie without snaping them ).
    Thanks. 20240806_141904.jpg 20240806_141958.jpg 20240806_141933.jpg 20240806_141930.jpg

2. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,080
    It's not really the right time of year, at the moment it needs its leaves. Better wait until Feb/March and sort it out properly.

3. Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks
    I've tied a couple of the long canes into the wires on the fence so there in a bit of a fan shape and cut out some dead twigs and spindley bits with no leaves. I'll leave it be now till Feb / March like you say thanks.