Pruning Willow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by johnnywas, Jan 26, 2008.

1. johnnywas

johnnywas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a willow tree which is about 20 foor high. when I bought the house about 5 years ago it was large and sprawling but we hired a tree surgeon to cut it back by reducing it height by about a third. it cost about �£150.

2 years later we cut it back again and this time to a more attractive dome shape. provided that the tree is pruned once every three or four years it will much easier to manage in future

willow trees thrive on pruning, it produces long slender branches (ideal for fuel)

pruning hard too often will, of course harm the tree. I found in the first year of pruning the tree had few leaves and was more prone to aphid infestation. and the second time we left some active growth on the tree to produce some leaf in the first months

the best time to prune is when the tree is dormant - as it allows the tree best use of growing season

willow is particularly good for coppicing - other trees in my garden don't like hard pruining - i have a mullberry which is known to bleed when cut. I also have a holly tree which is very hard wood and which does not grow back at all quickly.

[ 26. January 2008, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: johnnywas ]