Prunus dulcis (Almond Tree) - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by reallynotsure, Jun 1, 2011.

1. reallynotsure

reallynotsure Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased last October an Almond tree that I planted in memory of my dad.
    It produced beautiful bloom in early spring and looked lovely,however it now seems to have developed a problem and I wonder if anybody can offer some advice on what it is and how to treat it.

Rather than try to describe the problem I have attached a couple of photos. I hope they are self explanitory but if you need a further description please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi reallynotsure

From the photos it looks like a fungal infection caused by the fungus Monolinia laxa. Unfortunately there's no control method once the symptoms show and the damage has already been done. You can remove any dead fruit, flowers, leaves and twigs to try and reduce or prevent reinfection last year, or to stop the infection spreading to nearby trees.

3. samonly

samonly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My almond looks the same as this one -- a fairly bare trunk and leaves at the extreme branches but is still fruiting. Can it be saved? -- I think it is about 15 years old -- it was approx. 2m tall when we move in here in 2005. It has suffered from this condition for about 3 years.