Pumpkin question?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freedom_Spark, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I decided to try growing a pumpkin this year but unfortunately I didn't have any space left for it on my raised beds. I know that pumpkins are not suitable for containers but I've had it in half a barrel at the edge of of my vegetable garden, letting it tumble down of the edge on to the ground (after I realised that pumpkins didn't grow upwards :lollol:) I'm not sure whether this is suitable or not? Now however, I have some space after my unfortunate potato blight incident, would it be wise to replant enabling the pumpkins to grow on top of the soil. The plant is currently on an area we're going to make into a path which has uneven stones on it. Any advice welcome.

The plant.
    [​IMG]

What I assume is a baby pumpkin?
    [​IMG]

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    That is an embryionic pumpkin, and it will need fertilizing with a male flower. I would recommend you hand pollinate, otherwise the pumpkin will gor a bit then maybe start to rot and fall off.

I've never tried moving any pumpkin, marrow or cucumber myself, but reckon if you can pick up the half barrel and move it then it should transplant OK if you are very gentle. Watch the stem they are easy to snap.

3. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    How do I tell which is a male flower? Is there any need to transplant it, would the fruit prefer to grow on top of soil, is an even surface necessary for it to form properly? Thanks

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    The male flowers don't have a little embryionic pumpkin behind the petals, Just pluck one off and pull of the petals and gently run the middle bit of the male flower (the anthers) onto the female flower, you will see the yellow pollnen being transferred.

There is no need to transplant if you don't want to, it looks to be doing just fine as it is.

I don't like leaving my pumpkins on the soil, so to avoid slugs and the damp I have some old ceramic tiles to keep mine off the soil, anything like that would do. They do get very big and heavy so make sure its not somewhere likely to roll/fall and damage itself, you can move the stem and fruit about before it gets too big.

5. JerremyB

JerremyB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are growing it from halloween this year have at least 2 plants as I made the mistake of having only one which didnt suvive and had to tell my daughter that she wont have that home grown pumpkin I promised her. :(

6. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Awww :( I'm sure she'll have one this halloween! Thanks for the tip JerremyB, for me though it's really just an experiment this year, firstly because I'm basically a big kid myself & would like to have one for halloween & apparently they're great in veggie soups etc. I do hope it works out, I'm impatiently waiting for the flowers to open so I can hand pollinate.

7. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just let it grow where it is now, as mentioned above u can move the stems and make sure u keep the fruits off the soil

8. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i to have planted my first pumpkins this year, i planted 2 and they took off looking great! then we found out we are moving and i was suddenly horrified at the thought of leaving them.... so i dug one up and planted it in a pot to see if it would keep! for a couple of days it looked grim but it picked up again and is now growing way happy again, i have been advised to sling or hammock the pumpkins when they grow but hopefully i will be settled in new house with a more permenant position for them to stay
    watch this space lol
    jane

9. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Can you pollenate a female pumpkin/squash flower that hasn't opened yet, or should it have opened of its own accord? I thought you had to catch it within so many days of opening. Hopefully, I will now be able to pollenate all my babies!
    Liz

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Wait for it to open naturally Liz, it won't be receptive before that and you risk damaging it. I've tried exactly this in the past, but it didn't work, you just need a bit of patience and catch them within a day or two of opening.