Purple Sprouting Broc. gone rotten 'cos of snow?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rovingricey, Jan 30, 2011.

1. rovingricey

rovingricey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

It was finally warm enough to get out into the potting shed today and take a walk round the garden looking at what has survived our terrible winter so far! (I live in Paisley, West Scotland).

My purple sprouting broccoli had been looking magnificent in the autumn, some of it at least two foot high and very healthy leaf growth. Then we got the tonnes of snow and icy temperatures for weeks on end.

Some of the smaller plants don't look too bad but several of the larger ones' main stems have snapped and gone rotten, perhaps because the weight of the snow broke the stem? Perhaps I should have staked them or covered them in fleece?

Anyway. My more urgent question is: should I cut them back to beneath the broken rotten bit of the stem or pull them out completely? They are taking up lots of space and don't smell very jolly but if there's any chance that they might make a recovery I would love to know how to nurse them back to health because I sowed these last April and have been looking forward to eating the florets so much.

It's my first time growing PS broc (can't you tell!) and I'm wondering if they really are suitable for our area or have I just been unlucky this time round. All my gardening books say that it should be hardy but then we did have nighttime temperatures of minus 20 in December for several days....

As always, I would really appreciate any advice or info. any of you can provide.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Rovingricey. Yes, I know what kind of winter you had, it was just the same here in Perthshire. A foot of snow lying for 6 weeks and temps down to minus 20.
    I've grown PSB for years and it is generally very hardy and reliable giving good crops of florettes around March - sometimes a bit earlier. This year I think things have suffered a bit but I wouldn't give up at this stage.
    I would cut the plants back to below the broken rotten bits - those bits won't recover. But you might get sprouts from the axles below there and some kind of a crop.
    Hang on and see what happens. Good luck.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi RR,

I'd go with Alice there, cut them back. Most Brassicas will sprout again from a stump. Last spring, I cut the kale down to stumps, it all re grew & will be ready for picking again in a few weeks.