Purple Sprouting Broccoli, it ain't over till it's over?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rovingricey, May 24, 2011.

1. rovingricey

rovingricey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had about six weeks of delicious PS broccoli spears:

IMGP4432 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The plants are still producing the purple spears but they are getting more stringy looking and turning to seed very quickly....does this mean it's finally over?

I'll be sad to pull these plants out as they have produced a fine crop, not just the spears but the leaves which I've been cooking like cabbage but I already have some small seedlings for next year's crop. This is definitely an investment vegetable but in this case I feel it has more than paid off the effort put in. Delicious!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking at mine, nearly over, but i'm going to give it a feed and see what happens.

The butterflys will be along soon anyway.

3. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    i would have had some this year, but my dog decided, he liked broccoli plants and destroyed the lot, when i went on holiday last year.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a bother Bo.:parsnip:

Just fed mine with the exudate from the worm bin, now theres some potent stuff:runhills:

If they are still alive in the morning, i'll cut 2 of them right back and see what happens.:thumbsup:

5. firsttimer

firsttimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Just a quickie i'm trying to protect mine newbys from butterflies how high do they grow? its so i can build a cage for them.

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Mice didn't care for the snow too much and as a result the showing was somewhat pathetic. What there was didn't taste too wonderful but was edible. Then, just as the entire lot was coming into harvest, I got struck down by a really vicious attack of gastric flu which laid me up for almost a week. By the time I felt well enough, it had all gone to flower! :cry3:

I pulled most of them up recently but decided to leave a few and see if they will self seed. When is it too late to sow more?

[​IMG]

7. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,863
    I took mine out yesterday as the stems were getting tough and I want to make room for the next crop... Final height was around 3'

Daisees - if the plant itself thinks now is the right time to seed then who are we to argue?!

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Very true, Loofah! Very true!

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    T&M were giving away free packets of summer sprouting broccoli if you bought 2 packets of other seed. That one is designed to lob in now.