Purple sprouting broccoli

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by 1eyedjack, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    My second year at growing this stuff after a highly successful first year (to be honest, grew far too much).
    Anyway, I have done the same again this year with the exception of covering in netting to keep the critters off, and everything seemed to be going fine except that it has started flowering. I wasn't expecting that until after winter. Does this mean I am sunk for when the real season kicks in?

2. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Have they all started flowering?, They should really wait until the spring, but something has happened to sock them into flowering early!

3. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine did the same last year and they were fine in spring - though that was probably a bit later in the year than this. I ate some of it but the flavour was disappointing. I think it needs frost to develop properly...

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Cut off all the flowers otherwise the plants will think they have done their job and die off, they might recover enough to get a reasonable crop in the spring.