putting conservatory plant outside

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SueH, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SueH

SueH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had an azalia plant in conservatory for christmas when is it safe to put it outside its starting to drop flowers and leaves?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Sue, was it bought as a house plant, if so its probably indicum which is not hardy and is usually kept as a house plant, that is plunged in a shady spot outside for the summer. [​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Oh alright, might have the wrong name there, but the florists azalea was always considered tender, but also I dont think I would plant out a plant that had been kept in a warm conservatory at this moment in time even if it is hardy. Its probably got some soft growth due to being forced.

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I would keep it in for a bit longer. The past winters have been very mild I had geraniums survive outside last winter but this year everything is inside.

5. SueH

SueH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

6. SueH

SueH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lisa and pete, I've been in and out with this plant 3 times :D I think what I'll do is put it out during the day when conservatory is a bit warmer and bring it in at night when its cool :cool: Thanks again [​IMG]

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sue that sounds like a great idea. Moving any plant out of warm indoors at this time of year - can give it a heck of a shock.

I'm with Pete, some variety of azaleas are not able to tolerate our winters outside - any chance you can post us a picture of yours?