Pyracantha as a free standing specimen shrub anyone?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spotty, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Spotty

Spotty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a potted pyracantha "Red Column" that I don't really know what to do with. I was going to train it under my windows in the front garden but then I read that it can be used as a free standing specimen shrub. The thing is I don't think I've ever seen a pyracantha that hasn't been grown against a wall or fence and I can't visualise what it would look like.

I have a space in the back garden which could do with filling but I'm a bit concerned that a), if I have a free standing shrub it will look scruffy and b), that it might be a pain getting around as it's so thorny. If anyone can advise me as to what it would look like on it's own I'd be grateful. I definitely don't want to spend all my time clipping or pruning it into shape though. Also what plants would look good with it as a backdrop.

Thanks for any answers.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Pyracantha is a naturally tall growing shrub, which will also grow quite wide, when placed in the ground whether free standing or against a wall. Being in a container will constrain root growth and plant growth.
    As you say, it's a very thorny shrub, hence it's common name of Firethorn" and is often used as a Burglar deterrent barrier in gardens. Since you don't want to spend time pruning it and keeping it in shape I would keep it in the container. I've had a Pyracantha in my front garden for 30 years and have to prune it every year. Pruning it is easy, picking up the prunings is not!!:biggrin:

3. Spotty

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I hadn't even thought of picking up the clippings! If it's left to its own devices does it become very untidy whether in a container or in the ground?

4. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Spotty, all plants will become "untidy" whether in a container or not!! If you were to plant the Pyracantha into the soil it would, once established, become bigger, wider and more untidy.
    At least in the container it should remain reasonably constricted but would, like all shrubs need a little prune or two every now and then......all part of gardening.:biggrin: Just remember to use gloves when pruning and picking up any cut stems etc :snork:
    I would, since it's in a container, give it a feed every now and then to keep it fairly healthy and green. The birds love the berries in the Winter and the Black Birds will strip my Pyracantha berries when the weather gets hard.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I'm very careful with the clippings when we prune anything like Pyracantha with sharp thorns. I have barrows / garden trailers with pneumatic tyres, easily punctured if you leave even a small bit behind. I put a dustsheet down to ensure I "harvest" all the clippings, and then burn them - I don't trust any shredder not to leave some sharp spines behind.

6. Fair Weather Gardener!

Fair Weather Gardener! still a newbie :)

School Gardener & Freelance Photographer
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I moved house I took a clipping of our pyracantha and put it in a patio tub. 7 yrs on and its looking better than ever. Yes, its not thick and bushy, but produces more and more berries every year! I clip any bits that get in my way but otherwise have pretty much left it to its own devices. I don't have any spare wall or climbing space so although I didn't intend on leaving it in the tub, that's where it still remains. :)

7. J.O'Neill Landscapes

J.O'Neill Landscapes Apprentice Gardener

Landscape Gardener and Garden maintenance
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Spotty,
    It sounds like this Pyracantha of yours isn't suitable for your requirements, unless you can put it against the back fence, because it'll be a pain otherwise, (joke not intended)
    How about giving it to a friend or swapping it if you can for something without the thorns.Cheers Justin :spinning:

8. Spotty

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice everyone, I'm going to put the Pyracantha in my front garden against the house wall and below the windows where I am sure I, and it, will be happy. I will have to widen the flower bed that it will go into which is no bad thing as it will cut down on the amount of lawn I need to mow.

I was really curious what was meant by "suitable as a specimen plant" on the plant description as I just can't imagine that a pyracantha would look "right" stuck in the middle of a lawn where the thorns would be a problem.

Thanks again.

9. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I wouldn't describe Pyracantha as suitable for a Specimen plant, for the reasons you describe, Spotty. I think that was ill advised sales blurb!! But it is a great shrub, tough, evergreen, long lasting and gives you white flowers and the berries. In the right place it's the right shrub. One thing, you did say "below the windows"????, considering that my Pyracantha is pruned to 8' in height annually and would probably go to 12' unchecked, not to mention what width it will get to, is under windows a good idea??:scratch::biggrin:

10. Spotty

Ratings:
    +0
    From soil to the bottom of the cill is about 6 foot so I'm hoping to be able to get away with it if I keep it in a container.

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Yes, in a container you might get away with it, cross fingers!, Spotty, as it will hold the growth back being in the container. I had the impression that you were thinking about planting it in the soil, which is why I asked how high your windows were:snork: You'll still need to do a little prune now and then, and when you get the odd stab or two from the thorns just remember you're not the first.!!:biggrin: