Pyrus Calleryana Chanticleer Query

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nick777VVV, May 25, 2010.

1. Nick777VVV

Nick777VVV Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted three Chanticleer a couple of years ago and they've grown well.

Last January I decided to buy another three and plant them in the same line.

Now the new trees are in full leaf...except the leaf size is a quarter of the size of their older cousins. I've checked with the nursery who insist they are chanticleer and the leaves do look very similar.

However, it does look like a different species with the much smaller leaf.

Could I have a strain that just happens to have a smaller leaf size or should I expect the leaves to get much larger in future years...or have I got the wrong tree?!

Thank you
    Nick

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Nick,

You can't really expect a newly planted tree to do as well as a more established one so ideally you'd need to wait a while longer to see if the newer additions catch up. It could also be that there is less water & nutrients in the ground now there's more competition. I think you'll just have to be a little more patient, make sure there's plenty of water and nutrients going into the soil and check back in another year or so.