Queen Elizabeth Rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Barra, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Barra

Barra Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got three QE roses a year last summer and planted them in a garden on the outher hebrides. after they finished flowering i cut them back to approx 1 ft above the ground then last year only one came up. so i take it i managed to kill the other two.
    However the one remaining one flowered again but rather than cut it back again i thought i would leave it so as not to kill it. but now as the spring is starting to come in it looks straggly and skinny is there anything that i can do ???? and what size can they reach.
    tried to read up about them but i dont really understand prunning with all the cuts and heels etc

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,807
    Hi barra one of the most popular Roses of all time,It can grow very tall 5ft with a spread of at least 5ft,its a lovely Pink in colour with the reverse of the Petals a slightly deeper Pink,its a Floribunda (flowers in clusters)Ideal for cut Flowers grows very fast usually flowers from spring to summer But with our Climate as it is it would now go on even longer,it can also be used as an hedge and it looks fantastic,indeed a truly magnificent Queen of Roses,It was introduced about 1954-55 named after our Queen Elizabeth.Have a look on this Rose thread for some of the previous posts on pruning.Hope this as been of some help.
    [​IMG]

[ 16. February 2008, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: wiseoldowl ]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Don't be frightend of cutting it back Barra it will help to produce stronger shoots,next month just cut back to an outward facing bud put some fertilzer round it.