Question about Basil

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I planted some Basil seeds earlier in the year and not sure why but nothing happened so end of May planted some more seed's.These germinated and now have them in three inch pot's on the patio.If I now put them into bigger pot's will they keep now untill next year if I keep them in either the shed or greenhouse over winter.Or could keep them on the kitchen windowsill.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Best off on the windowsill to keep them going till later in the year, but they are only annuals so will go to seed at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Not an expert on this 1 but have grown it in the past. I know it's a good idea to keep pinching out the growing tips so the plants bush out. I reckon they would keep going for quite a while if brought into the house once the temperatures start to drop. I kept a couple of plants in the greenhouse until about end October by which time they were looking pretty tatty.Probably lack of sunlight would put paid to them eventually and they will run to seed in time before next season.
      I have grown a fair amount, then harvested,chop up with a bit of olive oil and freeze in ice cube trays. Take out cubes as required. Because of the oil the cubes don't freeze hard but seem nearly as good as fresh so never felt the need to keep plants going over winter. Maybe I'd be inclined to keep yours in your greenhouse to get them to grow as fast as possible and make the most of the summer weather, then bring into the house. I am quite happy for others to disagree with what I've said as may well be codswallop!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        Thank's for the replies I will put them in the greenhouse untill the weather turns colder and as it is not a heated greenhouse will then put them on kitchen windowsill.

• Like Like x 2
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          Basil is very tender. Only in the hottest weeks of summer does it do well outside. I find it does not do well even on a sunny windowsill in a centrally heated house over the winter. It really struggles; treat it as an annual and freeze as Silu says.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          Beware that basil is without doubt the most softest plant there is. It is a natural born victim and drama queen. Everything eats it. And even when not being eaten, EVERYTHING upsets it. It will sulk if it's too hot, too cold, to wet, too dry, if the wind blows on it, if you look at it funny, or even if it finds out you looked at other plants behind it's back.

So while the greenhouse is fine, you will need to keep an eye out for aphids, slugs and snails. And signs of excess humidity that could lead to mould. When it tries to bolt later in the year, you can delay it by harvesting right down, cutting each stem just above the bottom two leaves.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +31,321
            I grow basil from seed every year. The genovaise and sweet types. They love water and as long as you keep them wet, theh will grow rapidly. If i don't keep up with them, they flower and i just cut off those stems and put them in a small vase on my tables. Although they aren't as pretty as a vase of other flowers, they make the room smell yummy!

I have never tried to overwinter these because the seeds are cheap and they grow quickly plus I don't have tk worry about bringing in hitch hikers :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,076
              Is it not basically a short term herb that needs to be sown in succession?

Its not the kind of plant you keep for long, just use it when it's at its best then discard it and have more coming along.

• Tracy_x

Tracy_x Gardener

Ratings:
              +405
              Easy to flower and seeds, don't think can go next year, it is better to keep sowing