Question about protecting ferns.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lollipop, Oct 28, 2008.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello All,

I have quite a lot of ferns now under my oak tree, but they are only about 2 ft tall, and I want to ensure their survival overwinter.

I have just been bringing the tender plants indoors-the frost will be here this week, and am a little unsure as to what to do with the ferns.

I won`t have big lumps of fleece in the garden-it works for some, but for me it`s an eyesore, so can I bring them indoors as houseplants for over winter? If so will multipurpos compost do-I don`t have any other kind? What depth and width of pot do I need, and do I feed them at all over the winter?

I will put them back out again after hardening them off in spring, but I`ll save those questions for when it is pertinent.

I don`t want them in the greenhouse-mainly because I am fast running out of space, but if that is in their very best interests I will do that.

And lastly-would it be ok to leave them out without protection.

As I say they are under the oak tree, and are kept company by the ivy and should soon be surrounded by the shoots of the bulbs there are too-or is it too much of a risk.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Claire it depends what type they are as to whether they are hardy,I have acollection some were down as being frost tender,like you lack of space meant they were left outside and have been for the last 3 winters they all survived,they are in large pots and their own dead fronds are left on to cover the crowns,in spring when they start to grow I remove the old fronds

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks Walnut-they are the box standard lady ferns.

And two called The King-thanks heavens I saved the pots.

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've found, like Walnut, that ferns tend to be hardier than the official description. Maybe the plant growers are covering themselves against complaints or the winters are getting milder, or... both! That said, the lady fern (Athyrium felix-femina) is supposed to need a cool greenhouse for protection during the winter. I'd take a chance, personally, on it surviving and leave the dead fronds on top, like Walnut has described.

I don't know "The King". Could that be a form of Osmunda regalis - the royal fern? If so, it's hardy.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    The label is a bit smudged "affini....." is all that still legible other "The King"

6. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    The King fern is Dryopteris affinis crystata and is a british fern that's fully hardy.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    After last night I admit that`s a relief