Question on potatoes!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JayneyG, Jun 15, 2009.

1. JayneyG

JayneyG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I have a question about my potatoes. There's lots of foliage on them now and they've flowered. Will all this foliage detract from putting the effort into growing the potatoes and should I cut back the foliage?:scratch:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    No, leave the foliage on, the leaves are making the tubers fatten up. It sounds like your spuds are ready, have you tried digging one up yet or just scraping some of the soil away to see whats under? Usually when the flowers die off its the sign that they are ready if you have early variety. If one plant is ready, then just dig up as many as you need at a time. The longer you leave the foliage on the better/bigger spuds you will get.

3. JayneyG

JayneyG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ah ok thanks for that. We did dig some up a week ago but they were still tiny. We've been watering plenty so maybe give another week and then check again then?

Thanks!

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Jayney, it`s not the foliage you want to cut off it`s the flowers. When will people learn, you don`t want your potatoes flowering.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I did not know that David-a bit of a novice on this front. I will dutifully chop them off tomorrow.

6. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Flowering makes no difference. Some don't, some do.

Pinching flowers out always seems counter-productive to me. Think about a Dahlia, for example. The tubers swell when the plant has come to the end of it's cycle - pinching flowers out simply extends that cycle.

I suppose ever grower is different though!

The bottom line with pots is, I think, patience. Wait until the plants are yellowing and dying back, but if you want to harvest before then, accept that there is a risk you'll get spudlings rather than spuds!

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Some of my desiree now have dying off foliage and those ones never flowered either-and then again a few of them started to today. As long as they make a good mash I'm happy either way.

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    According to research its possible to increase yield by 10% by flower removal on spuds. Personally I like potato flowers, they brighten up the veg patch.

9. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Some potato flowers can be really beautiful.

What research is that, out of interest, JWK?

I've often heard it as Old Garden Lore, but I've never seen or experienced any benefit.

10. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cant wait for my first spud flowers :) First year for me :)

11. JayneyG

JayneyG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. It seems there are different opinions! I think I may try chopping the flowers off one or two and see if there's any difference ;-)

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Taking the flowers off isn't going to make a huge difference. Do it if you want ....

13. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979

I just googled for it andrew, I ignored results from various gardening forums asking or offering opinions, instead I looked at a couple of university type studies which seemed to find that yields could be increased by removing the flowers. There were some conflicting results, one trial actually found that yields were slightly increased by allowing the flowers to set fruit :scratch:

Personally I don't think its worth the faff and agree with you about them being beautiful, plus you get different coloured flowers from different varieties.

The yield increase must be marginal otherwise we would see the farmers out in the field picking off the potato flowers :lollol:

14. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Many years ago, when I grew my first potatoes without my dad's guidance, I misunderstood the banking up trick, and got confused with the onion trick of limiting aerial growth. I went round my tatie patch and smashed down the topside growth before the spuds were ready. Oddly enough a few weeks later I still got a good yield for the size of the patch. I wouldn't recommend that method though, I think mother nature must have been in a very forgiving mood that day:)