Quick dying rose flowers

Discussion in 'Roses' started by cyclistbruce, Jun 4, 2011.

1. cyclistbruce

cyclistbruce Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to gardening, having just got a house with garden for the first time I loving building it up from scratch.

Having created a number of raised beds I have planted a selection of shrubs, bushes and flowers.

Most are flourishing, however, I have planted a climbing rose which I bought from Homebase "Bridge of Sighs". This seems to be doing fairly well and has an abundance of flowers. The problem is the buds flower, open and die off within 2 days.

Am I doing something wrong!!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Lets hope someone comes along to answer your question, as I have the same problem. In my case I know the ground its in is poor and starved, but I added loads of mushroom compost (mix of rotted chicken poo and horse poo) before it was due to flower this year, and that hasn't helped. Other plants in the same patch are doing very well, just the rose is struggling.

3. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    That tall climbing rose is quite an open bloom and after a few days the petals will drop - even more so in these high winds and if its roots are too dry - are you giving the ground a good soaking once a week - if not do !