Quick question about biennial plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by evemarie8, Jun 19, 2009.

1. evemarie8

evemarie8 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Quick question, once biennial plants have flowered in their second year is that it? Is there any chance of them flowering again or do they just die? Also if they do die, and their lifecycle is over what do you do with the dead remains? Do you need to dig up the remains of the roots?

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    It depends on the plant. Plants can't read books so they don't always cooperate.

According to the books, a biennial will flower and set seed in its second year, then die. You then pull it out and compost it.

Sometimes though, depending on species, a biennial will do three or maybe four years. Sometimes Foxgloves will make it to three year old despite being biennial.

Personally I wouldn't wait and see. I'd just right it off after it had flowered in its second year.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    As clueless says a true biennial dies in its second year, and there is no point in expecting more. Its best to remove the old root - otherwise it will just rot in situ.

However, some biennials can live longer. This is especially true if you stop them setting seed or even producing flowers. The act of setting seed usually kills them. In this respect they act as "monocarpic". There is a whole class of monocarpic plants such as many Echiums that will grow sometimes for two three or even more years until they are big enough to flower. They then die after flowering. - Ain't life a bitch :D.

4. evemarie8

evemarie8 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Fantastic, thanks!! As long as I know that by pulling up the old roots I won't be killing any hope they might have for flowering again I will be happy!

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi evemarie, which biennials are you talking about, or do you have lots?

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Angelica is a biennial, but it can be prolonged by preventing it seeding.