Quirky thought

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fran, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Scotland achieved partial independance during the life of this Government - its own parliament, its own laws - but is still part of the United Kingdom. My information is that it is not financially self sufficient and the funding arrangements of both Scotland and Wales are from the Centre. In other words England subsidises both countries.

Question - who was Chancellor at that time

The Scottish National Party,and others are looking for full independance and indeed a few others too - though how could they afford it, but then Gordon Brown is looking to take over as Prime Minister of the UK, and Scottish MP's vote on English and UK issues

I mislike Gordon Brown anyway - but if there is a question of Scottish independance - can he really be considered for Prime Minister of the remainer of the UK, and on what basis.

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oor Gordon is a Scot is'nae he? They are welcome to keep him all to themselves!

Home rule for Essex - Kingdom of the East Saxons. We even have our own Patron Saint - St Edmund.

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I just simply don't like - no - TRUST the man - whatever his nationality. One question I have wondered, is this: When TB stands down - will he automatically step in as leader of the Labour party, or will they vote on a new leader, and if they do, he seems pretty confident he will win - it seems to be a settled matter already!!! So much for Democracy!!

4. grandchild4

grandchild4 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I do not like G Brown at all. Surely he cannot just walk straight into the job. He should be voted in like everyone else, but is there any one eles to stand against him. Off me soap box now bye Grandchild4

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Odd that with a population of just five million compared with England with a population of fifty million, Scotland seems to provide such a vastly disproportionate number of senior UK government figures.
    Tony B - Educated here. Gordon Brown, John Reid, George (now Lord) Robertson.
    Must be down to our superior education system (which If I interpret the news correctly is about to be in part copied by our friends to the south :D :D ;) )
    Or then again it could be a Scottish conspiracy to take over the UK

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Pretty much what I'd have said, Dave - but I keep out of political discussions...... Oops - I seem to have got into this one! :rolleyes: :D

Is this a bad time to say I know the bloke?.....Or rather, used to, when he was a student!

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    Gordon Brown comes over as the most pompus, miserable, money grabbing, smug, self satisfied, figeting, MP I can remember.
    If he becomes PM, god help us.
    TB is bad enough.
    But then the bloke on the other side ( hug a hoodie Cameron, sounds a bit Scottish to me) has proved himself to be a right plonker, and he's not been in for that long, think what he could do if given the chance.

8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sometimes you just know when someone is wrong for the job. I had that feeling when Bush surfaced in Texas and when Thatcher ousted Heath.

G Brown is not up to it, but will walk in to No. 10 unless someone else stands against him. He will fail and lose at the next general election and we will be saddled with the awful Tories again. But so what? - we already have a war mongering, privatising, presidential Tory Prime Minister who makes Cameron look like a Liberal.

9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Another quirky thought - There are more people living in East Anglia than in the whole of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireand put together. Why do they get their own parliaments and assemblies and we don't?

Hornbeam for President!

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    That's why East Anglia is sinking and the UK leans to the right (or east). It's a simple question of balance :D :D

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  12. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good job i live on a hill, and keep a boat in the back garden [​IMG] :D

13. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hornbeam I have to say that is Celtist, David.

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    One question. Politicians are elected by the people for the people, so when was the last time your MP did what you wanted? If the politicians did what we wanted we would probably still have the death penalty, we would not be afraid to go out at night,we would not have ASBOS`s, we would probably NOT belong to the EU but we would be head of the second most powerful trading power in the world, the Commonwealth. David.

15. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Celtist! What does that mean? Don't get me going on the Celts. That is one of the great on-going myths that needs sorting. The people of Britain and Ireland have never been Celtic. The Celts were an Iron Age tribe originating in Austria and spreading south and eastwards. They never came to Britain. See : http://www.le.ac.uk/ar/stj/celtindex.html