Quite a few questions!...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Paul Sanderson, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Paul Sanderson

Paul Sanderson Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi everyone, firstly I have bundled a few questions into one thread so as to stop spamming the feed.

I have recently got the gardening bug ever since my father died a few weeks back (he taught horticulture) and despite living in our house for 3 years we haven't touched the garden - until now!

I have need to move a few shrubs and some I can't even identity - here is where you guys come in!

Firstly, this buddleia on the left. It's about 8-9ft tall and I need to move it. Is it too late in the year now??

[​IMG]

Secondly, what is this?? It also needs moving!!

[​IMG]

...and thirdly, what is this? And yes, it needs moving! We are splitting the garden into a part we relax and play in, and a working part where the fruit/veg/chickens live...

[​IMG]

Any info, either ID, or advice whether I can actually achieve what I would like to achieve would be a great help! It's appreciated...

Many Thanks!
    Paul.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father Paul. Being a horticulturalist he has no doubt given you inspiration for your garden. :)

Without a close up of the first picture it's difficult to tell what it is but I suspect it's a Syringa (Lilac) not a Buddleia.

The second one I can't place at the moment.

The third picture I think is Hydrangea.

All these plants look established and they shouldn't be moved this time of year, it's best to leave them until the winter months when they are dormant. If you really must move them now then expect no flowers or flower die back this year and also perhaps the loss of the plants, it may be to much for them to cope with. On removal dig out as much rootball as possible with hopefully a good amount of soil attached and prepare the new sites well, dig in some compost and feed, blood, fish and bone is a possibility and keep well watered throughout the summer this year.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        Agreed. That was my first thought when I saw it. I'd say the second shrub was a very leggy Viburnum (possibly davidii) on a hunch.

Agreed, but I would also add if that that do need to be relocated now I would cut a lot of the growth out to minimise stress on the plants. The Lilac and hydrangea will cope with it but like sheal said they won't do much this year. They could probably both do with a hard prune anyway, but it depends on what type of shape you want.

• Like Like x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,090
          It'll be hard work digging that lilac out, I wouldn't fancy it! Couldn't you incorporate it into the new design?
          As others have said it is not the best time to move anything. Could you not maintain (and enjoy)the garden over the summer whilst developing an overall plan which you might be able to start putting into action reserving the plant moving for the Autumn/winter/early spring? In fact, I can't over-emphasise the importance of a well-thought through and coherent plan for the entire garden space before undertaking heavy and potentially destructive work! It takes a while and a lot of mulling over to really thrash out ideas, in my experience but well worth doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Paul Sanderson

Paul Sanderson Gardener

Ratings:
            +21
            Thanks for all the advice everybody. I think I will wait until they are dormant before moving anything and just live with where they are. There is plenty to do with the rest of the garden anyway so it's not like I'm short of work to carry out!!

Thanks for the ID's too...it's appreciated!!!

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,889
              A progress report here and there would be welcome please Paul. :)