radishes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by leonora, Jul 8, 2008.

1. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    had the first radishes from the garden last night - they were really delicious!!

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    lucky you.:)
    I have not tried to grow any yet.
    my attempts some years ago were pitiful. plenty of leaves and no radish.
    I did use the leaves though, they actually make a really nice dish, like curried spinach.

3. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Leonora.

I love reading posts about peoples success in the veg. garden. Congratulations! :D

Ant.

4. geoff

geoff Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Pulled my first bunch today- One was a whopper, about 9 inches long, a white monster
    Geoff

5. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Radishes are reckoned to be one of the easiest vegetables to grow. I do pretty well with most of the stuff I plant but I never seem to get a decent radish crop. In various different gardens I have had they always seem to grow thin roots with strong leaves and then bolt. Am I planting them too shallow? Is my soil too rich/too poor? I am konfused (sic).

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Not too sure Prastio, usually plant them in shallow drills, which I water first, lay out the seeds every couple of inches and just pull the soil back over them, and tamp it down a bit. Prepairing the soil with feed before hand.

If they bolt though, there is always the benefit of the seed pods. Collect those, throw them in a pan of boiling water and then remove the pan from the heat after a couple of minutes. When the water goes cold, skim off the one's that float and pack them into jars with white vinegar or cider vinegar etc. Make a lovely addition during the winter to cottage cheese etc...taste a bit like chives.

Waste not want not.:thumb:

7. Campaman

Campaman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have already gone through two 4 foot rows of radish, just waiting for the next row to be a bit bigger before we consume them as well, got another row just coming through.

Radish salsa is real nice.... Chopped radish, chopped onion, bit of chilli powder, dash of worcestershire sauce, mix together with some olive oil.

8. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had my first courgette today and have another three on there way.

9. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We had our first radish last night. Hilds roter Neckarruhm. It was very peppery. Packet says Traditionally offered to accompany beer in northern Europe :thumb: ...
    I have just had the first tomato of the year :D