radishes.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by hammer, May 8, 2008.

1. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi growing radishes from seed in the greenhouse they look great nice and clean and very green there about 2 in tall been in the greenhouse about 11 days. when do i thin them out and is it 1 stalk per plant as you can notice im only a beginner i have a lot to learn yet.
    thanks.

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Hammer. welcome to GC. You can thin the radishes just as soon as they are big enough to handle but I thin as they get big enough to eat. Far more sensible. You do not actually say where you live (seems to be a common trait with new members) but as your radishes are in the greenhouse one can only assume you are at the North or South Pole. Otherwise, why?

3. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi from lincs i only put them in the greenhouse to start them off is it ok to do this.
    anyway i thinned them out and potted in to bigger tub watered them but they have gone limp is that normal. also i read that they do not like full sun is that correct.
    thanks.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hammer, radishes, like all root crops, are better off sown straight in the ground, they do not like transplanting, that is why you are having problems. Sown in the ground they are ready to crop in 3 to 4 weeks.:)

5. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I have sown my radishes straight into the ground and they are doing really well. We've been including them in salads for some weeks now. Don't forget to sow successionally to keep a crop going thoughout summer.

6. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi yes started my radishes off in the greenhouse laugh you can im only a beginner,anyway i had 3 large trays deep enough though,thined 1 out to another tray and put them all outside, the ones i thinned out are truggling after a week but the ones i left are nearly ready so some success.

7. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    big bowl of radishes today washed em they look great im well chuffed.

8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Well done, you.:thumb: You are now addicted to vegetable growing.:D

9. Winnie

Winnie Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I take my hat off to you all! I cannot grow radishes ... Yes I know ... BIG LAUGH!! Never mind ....

10. jessb12221

jessb12221 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might try radishes next year - I like to eat them but have never tried to grow them myself

11. valjoan2

valjoan2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what type of soil radishes like? I cannot get radishes to produce any size it is all top growth and no root size. I only have a small patch of garden and it is full of bits of coal and cinder from about a good century of coal fire residue seemingly thrown on the garden. The best crop I can produce is of shallots and spring onions and of course good old runner beans, they seem to like my bit of soil .I put as much compost on it as I can afford which is not a lot. Tried growing them in a trough in the greenhouse in fresh grow bag compost same old thing great top growth no bulbs. Yes I thinned them out. Any ideas anyone?

12. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi Valjoan and welcome. I think the problem you have is too much nitrogen in the soil. This is fine for the likes onions and shallots ( and brassicas ), but no good for rootcrops, which need more phosphate. You could try growing them in containers, that way you are deciding what they grow in.:thumb::)

13. valjoan2

valjoan2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip Daithe plant. I shall now pursue a different method of growing and find me some extra phosphates to hopefully conquer the problem :

14. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It would also help you valjoan2 if you got some lime into your ground.You can buy it by the box at B&Qs

15. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I find that seed tapes are very practical for radish. I just put a meter or so of tape in the ground every week, and basically forget about. I just got my first radish from the new garden, huzzay!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihara-kokonoe-tama/2541300711/

(link to pic, it seems I cannot directly copy the pic from flickr, sniff)