raise wheelbarrow to go over low wooden barriers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jonathan Black, Nov 25, 2023.

1. Jonathan Black

Jonathan Black Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    RaisedWheelbarrow.jpg Hi all,

Newbie query. Old bloke.

See the photo below that I have a back garden that slopes downwards and is divided up with low wooden barriers.
    The missus wants it to a bit more level so I have had the low wooden barriers put in to divide up the garden into sections. I'm now going to fill each section up with sand and
    gravel. The builders merchant has left the sand and gravel in huge heavy bags in the driveway by the side of the house and I now need to wheelbarrow this over to each section. In order to get the heavy loaded wheelbarrow to the back sections of the garden nearest the back fence, what is the best way to get the loaded wheelbarrow over the low wooden barriers without breaking them. As I say I am old so am looking for most labour saving way to this.
    I was thinking maybe I need a ramp or platform with adjustable legs on both ends.
    Anyway any advice appreciated. Thanks

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    I'm not quite sure how to answer this as the photos, although clear, don't give me sufficient information to work with.

It appears that the top level will be at the same height as the paving. In that case you don't have a problem for that level.

Is that level going to be at the same height as the wooden barrier at the end of that level? If so, then you only need to bring the barrow to that level and tip it over.

Similarly, if the second level is going to reach the top of the next barrier you can do the same - and so on.

That way you are filling from the top towards the bottom.

If that is not the case then you would need some sort of ramp to avoid damaging the wooden barriers.

Good luck :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Gardener

Ratings:
      +279
      A shortish plank of wood balanced centrally on those "beams" could act as a seesaw. Wheel the barrow up one side and gravity will then tip the plank down to the other side.

In all honesty though, that design is not ideal, given that you're elderly. Currently they are just trip hazards for you and your wife.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,926
      Just start at the top, get that level first to the top of the retaining plank. Then you can bump the wheelbarrow down to the next level, it shouldn't harm the plank.

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +31,299
      How are those planks installed. Can you remove some, fill the section farthest from the bags, reinstall that section's board and then fill in the next section, etc. I did my raised garden by leaving off the front boards until I had shoveled in the bulk of the soil. So much easier :)

• Jonathan Black

Jonathan Black Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +8
      Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your very helpful ideas.
      I've now done this and it was as simple as many of you suggest.
      I simply fill the first section to be level with the low wooden barrier. Then wheel the wheelbarrow to the edge of the next section but before I get to the low wooden border at the edge I can tip over the wheelbarrow for the sand/gravel to fall into the next section. This works nicely without damaging the low wooden border. Then repeat for all sections till completed.

Thanks once again for all your help

• Like Like x 3
      • blackstart

blackstart Gardener

Ratings:
        +111
        As advised on the Screwfix Forum