1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised bed - what to plant

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Idris, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Idris

Idris Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm building a raised bed approx 6m (L) x 60cm (W) x 30cm (D). It will be on the northern side of a fence running NE to SW.
    After some reading, the bottom of the bed will be lined with cardboard to combat weeds, then gravel for drainage (and get rid of some of a pile of gravel we have) with a soil/ compost mix over the top. The soil below is a heavy clay.

I have mixed feelings about veg, herbs, alpine and colourful flowers, so I'm looking for suggestions on what would be easy to grow in this environment.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Assume the fence is a typical 1.8m high , so that bed will be in shade for most of the day ?

Is it otherwise a fairly open aspect or shaded more by houses or trees etc ?

There are some veg that prefer shade, but not many, so think you would be better going for flowers.

In my similar shady border, hardy Fuchsias, Ferns, Hostas and Heucheras all do well with just a touch of very early and late summer sun.

Sure others will add to that list....

• Like Like x 1
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Hello @Idris and welcome to the corner :sign0016:

We have several raised beds here, mostly to grow big tall grasses and flowers in order to create some height. These are plants that are easy to grow and rustle nicely in the breeze making their own bold statements :SUNsmile:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2