Raised Beds Construction

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by RichD, Apr 7, 2018.

1. RichD

RichD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hello,

Im starting a project to install decking in my back garden. We have a large rectangular patio set and Im planning to put the set up on the decking. I would quite like to build some raised flower bed to the same height as the back of the seats and then push the seats flush with the bed. I wouldn't want any large plants just some small border plants (I know nothing about flowers but that is the next part of the project). The total height of the beds is probably close to 3' when the decking height and furniture height is taken into consideration.

I dont really want to fill the whole thing with soil as it will cost a lot. Im thinking about building a shelf then using large plastic trays with holes for drainage. The bed would be made to the same size as the trays so it wouldn't be obvious that they were trays.

Has anyone tried anything like this and would 15CM of soil be deep enough for border plants? Would appreciate thoughts and alternate ideas.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      Hi Rich welcome to the forum, my decking looks like your idea but my gardens now on two levels, personally i would build the raised beds from landscaping sleepers line them with plastic and fill them with soil, top soils not expensive just top dress it with better quality.
      Top Soil Sreened To British Standard £39 Per Tonne Delivered. | eBay

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • RichD

RichD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +9
        Thanks for the suggestion. I had planned to use deck board on a frame but having looked at the prices of 200x100 sleepers it would work out slightly cheaper to use sleepers.

• Like Like x 1
        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
          +10,302
          If you shop round you can get them for £11/12 round here, they look nice sanded down and oiled but they don't look like this for long ive now put a colour on them.
          IMG_1847.JPG

• Like Like x 1
          • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
            Ratings:
            +107
            I’ve done the same kind of thing in the front of mine but used half log to fill part way I just used rubble and anything I could find and then 18” of soil and manure mixed and everything grows really well in them word of caution though on the front fence I made 8” deep planters and find the dry out really quickly so if you can get as much soil in as realistically possible

• Like Like x 1