RAISED BEDS

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NEW, Aug 2, 2006.

1. NEW

NEW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am very new to gardening and I need help.

I have just build Raised Beds in my front garden which consits of 17 metres space all around the front. It was all grass before. Now I have the Raised Bed on the edging .

I need to start my planting in September. Could you please advise as to exactly how I need to start do I need to put some gravel at the bottom and then put the compost with top up soil and then start planting at about what date in September.

I want it to be all evergreens and easy to look after.

Please advice.

Thanks

Thanks in advance

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Depends how deep the beds are. If under 12" then you'll not enough depth for putting shingle in and it probably won't matter anyway. But if your beds are deeper than this then you need to put in a layer of gravel of somesort for drainage. But at the end of the day you need about 18-24" depth for the plants or more if they're going to be big ones.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]

Before

Still to paint the base blocks my greenhouse stands on.

[​IMG]

And after.

I would dig up your grass or put membrane on top of your grass.

You may havedone this already.I would start preparing and planting now personally with the forecast away to change wet wet wet soon.

Be nice with spring bulbs with your shrubs always cheerful after the winter the start of Spring.

Good luck Shkan post before and after photos.