Raised Beds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jules10, May 26, 2012.

1. Jules10

Jules10 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I know I have posted very similar threads before but I have been standing out in my garden at a total loss to what I should do. I have three raised beds and as mentioned in previous threads my soil has coal in it. My soil seems to be a mixture of coal, clay and stones. As you will agree not the best to grow veg in. I have been racking my brains as to what I can do. I was going to put membrane down (the kind you put down to stop weeds coming through) but surely the roots will be able to get down to the coal. I have slabs that I could use as a base to stop this problem but they are quite thick and I could not put drainage holes in them. Not sure anything would grow as the raised beds are not that high and the roots would not have anywhere to go.

Do you think I should just scrap the idea of raised beds? None of my neighbours grow vegetables and the nearest allotments are miles away. Perhaps that is telling me something in itself.

Thank you for any help you can give me. I know some of you have already given me help but I am at a total loss. I just do not know what to do.

Jules :help:

2. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    It would seem you must think it important that you should grow something. If I were you I would concentrate on one smallish raised bed at least 400mm deep, or even better 600mm if you can manage it. They are comonly used by people with disabilities, so are proven to work. When you have grown something in the one bed you can decide on your next move. You can lay plastic under the bed to prevent the roots reaching the coal, but not many roots go that deep anyway. Use some vermiculite in the soil to retain moisture and you will have to irrigate regularly.