Raised decking as a shed base?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Galaxy, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I've got some raised decking out the back (was there when I moved in 6 months ago).

I've looked it over and apart from needing the paint stripping/re-painting it doesn't appear rotten. Rather than ripping it it all out and not knowing what is underneath/having to level the ground, I was going to drill some reasonably large holes in some of the beams for drainage, strip the existing paint, recoat etc and then get the shed erected on the decking. The shed is pretty large (10x14).

Anyone foresee any problems with this? I can post pics tomorrow if needs be.

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,125
    As long as you allow good ventilation between shed floor and decking and dont have standing water after rain all should b e fine.
    Might want to use a length of wire netting to seal the gap between shed and decking to stoop cats,rats foxes or any other pain in the ass wildlife getting under there .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Galaxy

Galaxy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      Brilliant, thanks for the response. The decking as it has been laid does retain water, as somebody has laid the slats too near to each other. That's why I was going to drill some holes in the decking to make sure it drains properly. Good call on the netting hadn't thought of that...

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1