Rambling rose - fame work?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andrew Kennedy, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Andrew Kennedy

Andrew Kennedy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Over just the past 2 years our garden shed roof is covered with rose bloom. I want to do the same for our Shepherds Hut. I put batons over the garden shed for a frame which has worked well....however the Shepherds Hut has (see picture) a curved medal roof.....so what, I am wording, can I use as a frame?!? That's the question.

5 Hut.jpg

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +562
    You could use wires maybe? but if metal the roof could get quite hot in sunny weather which could affect the rose

3. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,199
    I think the only sensible option is a basic pergola, with trellis or similar, over the hut, and high enough to give good clearance over the roof.
    The metal heating up will probably be an issue for most climbers, for the reasons given by @Butterfly6.

4. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +362
    I put a metal roof on our shed and grow grapes over it attached to rope. I know in theory that a hot roof and plants wouldn't be the ideal mix and it might change with a rose but even in the 40c summer we had, there were no problems.
    I think a sturdy pergola would be the number 1 choice so it didn't damage your nice hut but posts with rope/wire should work well.

5. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I'd be inclined to grow the rose up the front/sides of your shepherd’s hut to avoid hiding the attractive features of its curved roof and chimney.

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,468
      I thought Shepherd's huts were supposed to be movable, so you could follow the sheep around.
      How many Shepherds share the hut?

• Funny Funny x 1