Raspberries and strawberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Liz, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Any raspberry connoisseurs out there? I've got to get some new canes, haven't had any since I moved. I can't even remember what my previous ones were, but as they were 20 years old I'm sure there's new varieties out there. I'd like early, middle, and autumn and perhaps a golden one....

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Ditto strawberries [pressed the wrong button] I used to have Cambridge Favourite, and alpines.
    I'm getting withdrawal symtoms!

3. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Liz,
    Raspberries,
    I tend to stick to the old favourite MALLING vars. for the main crops.
    early ones MALLING PROMISE
    mid season MALLING JEWEL
    autumn fruiting AUTUMN BLISS.

Strawberries.
    cambridge fav. are good, but you could try ROYAL SOVEREIGN, I think they are a bit juicier.
    The alpine straw. are really sweet, love them too, shame they are so small..

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Alpines are great for making jam. You get a lot more berries in every bite! The problem is you need quite a lot of space to grow enough. We've some that grow more or less wild in the gravel around two sides of the house, but for a decent amount for jam we have to go to an old quarry where they grow wild in abundance.

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks both. Oldervarieties it is then!
    I used to have a border of alpine strawberries 20' by 2', lots of fruit all summer and until frosts.
    I have some plants now which were growing in my daughter's garden, so don't know what variety, maybe a cross? They are alpine type, habit and flavour but much bigger, I'm hoping they will spread as they do in her garden, they're about the only thing that outgrows ground elder.