Raspberries planted today question

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mossym, Jun 5, 2010.

1. mossym

mossym Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi all
    i prepared a raised bed to start growing fruit to ake homemade Jam, a time honored family tradition. i had planned on planting green manure and putting in raspberries in the autumn as i had read was the norm

but in the garden center last weekend they had small 1 foot raspberry canes, Glen Prosen. I was very sceptical as everything i read said plant in autumn, but i took a chance on 3 canes anyway.

even in the week they sat in the pots, they have out on a lot of foliage, and grown, so are doing well I added farmyard manure to the raised bed during the week, well dug in, and today i planted the 3 canes.

my question is, should i prune back the canes, or let them grow? very unsure given teh time of the year.

also, my neighbour gave me two blackcurrant bushes that he grew from cuttings, about the same height, i planted those today as well, same question, should they be cut back?

Thanks in advance