Raspbery Cane pests

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Suzyq2909, May 11, 2009.

1. Suzyq2909

Suzyq2909 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I noticed this weekend that some of my otherwise very healthy raspberry canes seem to be breaking off at the top of the canes (the part with all the flowers & young fruit!). The top 4-6 inches seem to start to wither & the stem then breaks about 4-6 inches down.

Is it a pest doing the damage and any ideas how I can solve it. Last year I had so much fruit from these plants & would hate to love them.

Thank you.

2. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello!!:D

I'm very new to this, but I am a first time grower of raspberries. I planted my first ever canes a few month ago. Because I am new to growing raspberries, I have looked at every possible disease!!
    :flwsml:

The only disease I have found that comes near to your problem is Cane Blight. It may not be, but just trying to help.

Cane Blight is a fungus disease that attacks the base of raspberry canes; it results in discolouration & brittleness. The leaves wither & dieback occurs. It recommended that you cut back damaged canes to beneath soil level & destroy the wood removed (do not compost).

It may not be this at all. I would personally contact a fruit supplier or even a garden centre & ask them.

The other thing that it could be is that you may of had a hard frost that could of killed off the new growth & fruit.

Hope this helps!!:okies:

3. BigBird

BigBird Gardener

Signaller
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello me again!!!

Another possibility could be Raspberry Moth.

Raspberry Moth will cause dead or dying shoots. This is caused by the presence of the red caterpillar of this pest. Young caterpillars hide in the soil or stakes during winter & move to the shoots in April, where they bore into & feed inside the pith.

Good Luck!!:gnthb:

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: If they are in an exposed place it could be wind burn from these strong winds we have been having these last few weeks... The only other thing is we did have a few late frosts in this area, not sure about your area, but that would have done for the new top growth too.. Some pics might help to see properly..:)