1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rat Poison in Compost Heap

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ricky101, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Earlier this year I found signs of rats in my double wooden compost bin; about 4x2x4ft high

Never had any problem with them before, so expect they were just going for the quiet warmth of the heap.

Looking back I should perhaps have used more conventional things like wetting the heap and hammering on the wood regularly to disturb them.

However we used some Big Cheese Bait from Wilco, which contains Difenacoum.

Have to say it worked a treat and after 4 days found a dead rat in the middle of the lawn.
    ( they say when troubled they try to return to their last known safe place ..)

I then turned out the heap, about half full, to see if there were any more around, but non found, but there was both uneaten blue pellets and blue coloured droppings all around.

Could not really remove all of them, and considering them still active, contacted the makers to ask how long they take to degrade /become safe.

However after a couple of messages saying they would follow it up nothings happened.

Have looked up Difenacoum on the web, but little clear info, other that it seems it does have a long life, possibly years ?!

By chance does anyone know how long I need to leave the compost before its safe to use, not on food crops; but even on the flower beds wondered how safe for other wildlife if would be ??

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Personally, I would dig up all the compost and dispose of it safely.#

"4 Ways to Properly Dispose of Rat Poison
    Rat poison comes in handy if you need to eliminate rats from your home. Once they invade your property, rats can be a huge nuisance. They scamper around in search of food and in the proce[​IMG]ss even eat your furniture and other items. Should they get into your pantry, your food supplies are no longer safe. Rats carry bacteria into your house which creates health risks for you and your family. Once you realize you have rats in your home, quick action is necessary to check their presence. Various poisons are available on the market to help you effectively deal with the vermin. It is important, however, that you know how to dispose of rat poison after use. If not properly disposed of, the toxic chemicals in the poison could endanger your health. The poison can also become an environmental hazard. Some options are given below.

Step 1 – Trash Disposal
    Inquire from your local trash company about how to dispose of the poison. They will give you information on collection times or guide you as to how the poison can be disposed of safely. It is vital that you separate the poison from other household trash. This helps to contain the hazardous effects of the poison once it is collected by the garbage company. Obtain a container and place the poison inside. Seal it with a cap that fits tightly to ensure the poison remains within. Place the container in a plastic bag to prevent any leakage during disposal.

Step 2 – Give to Neighbor Quite likely, you’re not the only one with a rat menace. Talk to your immediate neighbors and find out if they also have rats. You could give the poison to your neighbors, if they’re interested, to help them deal with the rats. This way, you all benefit from rat eradication. It also helps you to remove the poison from your home.

Step 3 – Recycling
    Inquire from your local waste company about recycling availability. They will advise you on how to package the unused poison before it can be recycled. They’ll also let you know if they’re able to pick it from your home or give you information on where you need to take the poison to be recycled.

Step 4 – Incineration
    Some states allow incineration of hazardous materials. These may include rat poison. Call your local waste company to inquire about incineration. If local regulations permit, they will give you guidelines on how to incinerate the poison.

Safety Tips
    • Be sure to store the poison in a secure place before you dispose of it. Keep it away from easy reach by children and pets.
    • Do not dispose of the poison through the sink drain. The chemicals will end up in the ground and become an environmental hazard.
    • Wear disposable gloves and wash your hands well after you handle rat poison. It is also a good idea to change your clothes. This helps to clear any traces of poison that you may have picked up during handling."

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Thanks, did think about removing the contaminated compost, but our recycling centre only accepts green garden waste, they have recently banned soil ?

Depending who is on duty at the tip, it could be a problem as its now well composted and could be seen as soil rather than green waste ...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Perhaps you should have considered all this before reaching for a box of poison. Poison is, in my opinion, a terrible idea. It causes a lot of suffering to the poisoned animal ( whatever claims are made by the manufacturer ) and has the knock on affect of the possibility of other species becoming poisoned. Its popular because it offers a ' quick fix ' to an unwanted problem. I like Rats and support them living in my garden, but I understand that most people do not. Its not the Rats fault they were born Rats, they are just trying to survive the same as any other wild animal. They don't know where the boundaries are regarding your property, so sometimes they damage stuff accidentally or go into places they shouldn't. There are other ways to persuade them to vacate, as you have mentioned. It does work. A couple of enterprising females got into the space underneath the shower room in the caravan. I persuaded them to leave by playing a radio loudly and shining a bright light into the space ( didn't want them chewing the wiring as we were still using the caravan at that point ).

Maybe you could burn the contaminated waste. Our local recycling centre has a hazardous waste facility, but not sure if all do.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          It might be an idea, ricky, to have a word with the Council about getting rid of the waste. It won't commit you to anything or any expense and they might take it away for free.

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Unfortunately, you are very probably moving the problem to someone else's property and, in time, no doubt they would return. I'm no fan of using poison for various ecological reasons but I can understand why people do, and will, resort to using it.

• Like Like x 1
            • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
              Ratings:
              +3,269
              In our old home we kept goats, hens, geese and ducks...so rats were inevitable!

I am sorry but I cannot understand anyone putting poison down where other animals...cats, dogs birds can maybe eat it. Or where it can get into the food chain via worms, birds, toads, grass snakes...even humans via compost!

For just a few £ we bought a secure black bait box.
              Inside is dark.... like a maze which rats loved to investigate.
              The poison was placed inside ...keeping ALL other critters safe.
              Problem solved. Rats killed.

PLEASE in future invest in a Bait box!

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/images/1284a.jpg

You can often see them discreetly placed in the open, on the ground, near back entrances of food shops/restaurants/take aways etc.

No matter what the manufacturers suggest .....I suggest you play safe and dispose of the complete content of your compost bin...take it to the local council dump for GENERAL rubbish...

rubbish dump - Google Search

Do not put in Green waste for others to get later after it is composted down.

https://www.aggregaterecycling.com/images/green-waste-recycling.jpg

Start a new safe compost heap!
              Get a Bait box!
              Concider ALL wildlife...and humans.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,203
                Hi All,

Thanks for the informative and helpful comments.

A shame I did not post here before I bought that bait, could have avoided all the above problems !

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  The trouble with rodent bait is that, if you keep putting loads out, hey will take more than they can eat and stash it somewhere before they die.

I might have been tempted to suggest digging a big hole, burying the contaminated compost and joining in out giant pumpkin growing competion, but I'm certain that Voles would have found it and died.

I go for traps as a first line of defence.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,203
                    Hi all,

Just adding on to this old thread as we had some more visiters to the heaps the other month.

This time we were able to get rid of them by plunging a broom handle down into the pile and then placing the hose pipe down them to really soak the heap, seems to have done the job this time without using any poisons etc.

Did wonder however, as they will have been in the heap for a week or so they will have left a fair few droppings.

Cannot really call the heaps as hot, seeds do survive, but usually most material will be ready by next spring.

How safe will the compost be to use, particularly on edible crops, let alone handling it with bare hands; can we still readily catch something nasty from the rats ?

• Informative Informative x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hi Ricky101,

I'm a new member but rats do carry diseases from urinating plus droppings, so i'd wear protection regarding your hands.

Leptospirosis

Best of luck sorting it out :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,203
                        Hi,

Hmmm, we use a motion activated water sprayer which rids our small back garden of cats and their mucky habits, but seems its allowed the rats to wonder into the compost heaps.

Think its sounds like the end of the compost heap, :sad: more trouble than they are worth if they are liable to harbour such potential pests and diseases.
                        Was just reading the other day that the heaps can also host a variety of flea that can bite humans.:yikes:

Have enough of lifes little problems and pills without adding more sources ! :old: :smile:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                        +17,487
                        A nice warm cosy place will attract all sorts of unwelcome visitors ricki, as you know.

Be a shame if you discontinue using your own compost :sad:

Not good to put any poison down.....esp if the compost goes near edible crops.:sad:

The solution is simple I think, albeit an obvious one so sorry ricki, turn the heap regularly, make sure a good mixture of ingredients is there to create plenty of heat. Keeping the heat in too with a good lid, blanket or even a topping of dry leaves plus allowing a reasonable air circulation should help deter pests.

I dont turn my heaps as often as I should but they do get hot and they are vermine free because of it I think :)

• Like Like x 1
                        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Make sure you've not got even a slight cut on your hands and wear disposable gloves when you turn it.

I've had Weill's disease, makes flu seem like fun :thud:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            You need to do what Verdun as mentioned because it needs to be turned regular because otherwise the food and warmth they give off causes the rats.

I'd stick with it and give it a bit longer and if it gets you down that much, then it's time to call it quits but just use protection for your body and hands :)

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1