1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rat Proof Compost Bin - ??

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ricky101, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Long story short, have an old wooden compost bin, as two 2ft x 2ft x 3ft tall bins joined together.

However the rats now seem to like it too much, though its only pure raw garden/ vegetable waste.

Is there a diy way to make a new rat proof bin, again a similar sized twin bin ?

Wondered if the large 220 ltr plastic compost bins are rat proof - do they chew their way though ?

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,509
    Corrugated iron sheet used to be the construction material of choice that I used to see when I was a lad - whether it is still cost effective nowadays remains to be seen of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      They don'k gnaw through the plastic, but wriggle through the sides of the sliding access door at the base. If you sit them on a concrete slab and wire up the access door it keeps them out.

• Like Like x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Think thats our biggest problem that the bins are just on the soil , so its so easy for them to get under.

Was wondering if the plastic bins were on concrete they would still try and chew their way in, even if the door was sealed.

Know what you mean, but think its all been replaced by the corrugated steel cladding sheets thats just 0.5mm thick, hard to buy in small take away quantities locally.

Its a real double edged sword dilemma, used wooden bins for years without rats, but for the last couple of years have used an electronic / water jet cat deterrent which has worked a treat, no signs of cats in the back garden, but seems without them the rats feel free to roam.

Whats worse, messed up boarders and seed beds, putting you hand in god knows what and picking crops that have been cat scented/sprayed or risking rats and their problems ??

If set on a concrete base, wondered if building a new solid sided wooden one but lined with some steel mesh like this would be enough ?

000398.jpg

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Never had a problem after wiring up the doors, just use some snips to remove when emptying and replace befor refilling.

Anti-rat mesh needs to be on the outside or they'll keep gnawing through timber until they get to it then try somewhere else. Rats seemed to go for my timber composter, but leave the (sealed) plastic 'Daleks' alone. I placed mesh on the outside of all vulnerable timbers on our hen run and had no problems, and they never tried gnawing their way through the plastic roof or perimeter guttering to gain access.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Probably the only solution is..................[​IMG]e only solution is..............

• Funny Funny x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Thanks all,

Been measuring up for those 220ltr and 330lts plastic bins, but the base diameter of the 220 ltr is so large we could only fit one in, whereas our wooden rectangular one will take 800 ltr.

Think another wooden one will be better, but this time on a concrete base and as Scrungee says with the mesh on the outside; might look odd, but its out of sight behind a Bay bush.
            Be a bit of work to do all that, but better than running down to the tip and queueing for ages.

• Like Like x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,201
              Hi Again,

Been trying the methods of using the hose pipe on the compost heap along with pushing a metal bar down though the compost to disturb things as much as possible and it seems to have worked.

No signs of any holes or freshly dug soil and neither of the traps activated.

However, beginning to wonder if its actually worthwhile keeping a heap anymore for our relatively small front and back gardens and a more easier take on gardening in retirement.

Though gone for now, doubt it will not be long before they return, even with some newly built heaps on a concrete base.

Might just be simpler to bag it all an do a few trips to the councils recycling center each year.

Any thoughts ...?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,509
                I must admit, I don't yet have a heap or a composter (did come very close at the start of this year) - mostly because space is a bit of a premium in my garden, but also because it is just as easy to drop it off to the tip as and when. I do put most of my grass cuttings up the back around the conifers, simply to try and add whatever I can to the soil as they will be stripping it bare.

• Like Like x 1
                • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,731
                  Other way round for me - I don't have a car so a compost bin is definitely more convenient. One thing I would say, I started out with one 'dalek' but life is much easier with two because you can fill one, then swop to the other one, leaving the first to rot down. Once it's ready, usually in the spring, I just jiggle the bin around a bit until I can lift it right off, and redistribute its contents over the borders using a tub trug. Any unrotted bits can go into the second bin, then that is left alone and the first one begins to get filled up again. When I just had one bin it was much harder work because I had to excavate the good compost from under the more recent additions.

I rarely need to stir the contents of the bin around, one thing that does seem important though with plastic bins is to include a fair amount of cardboard or other dry material - it makes better compost, more quickly, and would also have the advantage of not being tasty to rats!

• Like Like x 3
                  • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                    Ratings:
                    +10,534
                    you actually get RATS? wow. we only see cute little field mice here. the cats deal with those. I have seen rats when I went to New Orleans once. the size of them are scary. no normal cat can deal with those things. you need one of those small dogs for them.

• Like Like x 2
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,201
                      Think they say you are not more that a few yards away from a rat where ever you live in the UK !

Now wonder why next door got of these little dogs some years ago, trying to tell us something...

Lancashire Heeler Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts - Dogtime

000380.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                        Ratings:
                        +10,534
                        yep, there is a breed called a "Rat Terriers" suppose to be breed to kill rats. Not very big, but quick.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,201
                        Hi All,

With the busy time of year approaching for putting stuff into the heap, think what we will try is to seal off the compost bins and see if the rats try to return.

Will bag all the garden waste this autumn and see what kind of chore it is taking it down to the recycling center every few weeks.

Don't know what other areas are like but our council has now stopped taking soil and rubble /concrete/bricks etc.
                        They offer a collection service from your house at £5 per liftable small poly sack.

Seems so counter productive as it will likely cost them much more to clear up all the fly tipping it results in.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,509
                          Our council is exactly the same @ricky101, and fly tipping increased almost instantly. I can never understand the thinking behind failing to maintain things, only to spend 10-15 times more sorting the resulting problems. :scratch:

• Like Like x 2