Ratio of soil/sand/seed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Scarecrow, May 12, 2006.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, all.

Gonna attack the weeds on the lawn this weekend.

Keep hearing about patching it up with sharp sand, soil and grass seed, but what ratio do I use?

Also, what's the difference of using seed with or without ryegrass.

Also, If I want a standard privet hedge (evergreen?) - do I simply ask for that, or is there some posh name I need to ask for?

Many thanks.

Jack.

2. Scarecrow

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Oh dear! Sorry this was missed. The seed is usually about 1/2 oz per sq. yard. Fill and firm the places where the weeds were if necessary with a mix of 1 part compost to 2 parts sand and firm, then sow grass seed, cover with a littlesoil/ compost and firm again.
    Unless you have no children or dogs you need a bit of rye grass in your mixture as the mixtures without are very fine and not as hard wearing; also your grass probably has some rye grass in it and the seed without will not match. Modern rye grass mixtures contain dwarf rye grasses which won't take over your lawn.
    Then mow your lawn frequently but not short while the new grass is growing, to avoid pulling it all up.
    'Ligustrum vulgare' is the latin name for native privet which shoul flower and fruit in UK if not trimmed too much once established.
    I do hope this helps- I've got lots of bare patches in my lawn where I've weeded, must re-sow quickly!

[​IMG]

[ 16. May 2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Liz ]

4. Scarecrow

Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic.

Thanks, Liz.