1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rats in Compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Richard O'Brien, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Richard O'Brien

Richard O'Brien Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I know its a problem often with rats getting into the compost, especially to get at eggshells and thats what happened, and the little **** as they tunnel in scatter all my good compost. I know it can be hard even with wire to keep them out. I was wondering about standing the compost bin on paving stones. No worms could get in so that might slow the rotting but if I put layers of compost and soil with good amounts of worms etc might that be OK?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi @Richard O'Brien and Welcome to GC, I am not sure if standing on slabs would be good as it would maybe inhibit drainage of all the juices of compost that normally go into the soil.. Maybe someone else will have a better idea than me..
    I used to have that problem and so I now wash eggshells before scrunching and composting them.. I never compost cooked food waste as I have 3 x 4 legged fur dustbins to take care of that.. ;):heehee: = no rats...