Rats in garden

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Beachlover, May 6, 2010.

1. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OMG I have seen 3 rats in my garden for the last couple of days late in the afternoon eating my newly laid grass seed.... I dont want to put any poison down as I have 2 dogs so got a humane rat trap any ideas what I should put in it to entice the rats? I tried a bit of peanut butter last night but didnt take the bait.

2. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,647
    Use gloves when handling the trap so the rats can't smell "human" from it.

If you didn't so far, then wash trap thoroughly in water so all the "human" smell is gone.

Bit of bacon, corned beef etc is good as bait.

You can always put poison in a 4" wavin pipe so the dogs can't access it.

3. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a mate who lives in hamelin that is very good with rats.. out there they call him Pied Piper of Hamelin, he may well be the best man for this job :thmb:

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Contact the local Council Beachlover.
    Rats are classified as vermin - disease carrying rodents.
    There's no point in putting down humane traps - it's illegal to release vermin onto someone elses land - so where are you going to release them - not in my property I hope.
    Rats are liable to be found where people are leaving food sources for them - litter, food, seeds, general garbage.
    Remove all food sources and call in the rat catcher.
    They breed at an alarming rate. 3 today, 30 by the end of the month, 300 in no time at all !

5. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Alice, not all rats are bad!! take roland he had hes own tv show :rotfl:

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The are probably living under a shed or such like in a neighbours overgrown garden. If that is the case then dealing with those that come into your garden will not solve the problem.

If you catch them in one of those traps, wearing thick gloves, lift it up and drop it in a barrell of water. When the rat has drowned lift it out and repeat. . If you go for a bait trap, place it under a shed so that the dogs cannot get at it or weigh it down with a concrete block

I'm surprised they have gone for sown lawn seed unless its been applied too thickly. Normally they go for bird food or food in compost bins.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Sounds like they have given you a clue themselves........use the grass seed.

8. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    grass seed lol :rotfl:

9. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies yes grass seed good idea so have put the rat trap where the grass seed is but will put other bait inside as well. I think rats are living in my garden we have area which is banked with earth and lots of shrubs there has been some building works in the field opposite and maybe they were disturbed and found another quieter home. Good point Alice hadnt thought where I could release if I catch one. I have brought a Rat bait box today with poison as having no luck with the trap & OH has fenced off the area to stop the dogs from going there...... (expensive rats had to buy some chain link fencing)

10. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you have the wrong dogs,my father has Highland White Terriers, theres no way a rat or any rodant could fight or go anywhere near 1 of his dogs,if everyone in the uk had 1 of these dogs no more rat problem,but then no more vermin no more of those type of dog, they do your nut in.

11. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Call your Council...I put poison down once and got a rollicking off them for doing so! They like to record all cases around these parts and were really put out at my actions......................I got three of the blighters though..rats that is:D

12. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you are sure these are rats, they just dont sound like rats??? are you near water?

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Indeed, they could be trolls.

14. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sussex, you know as well as i do trolls live in woodland and never track in packs of more than one

15. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes def Rats OH took some photos and we compared on internet just in case they were water voles cos they look just like rats but a bit smaller with very small ears as yes we do live just by a river. We have 2 GSD's they chase the rats off if they see them job done as far as they are concerned :gnthb:.... maybe I will try to borrow a ratter a neighbour has a couple of white westies but I think they are 2 softies...