1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-potted Christmas tree struggling to thrive

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Centime, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Centime

Centime Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Hi all

I recently moved into my first house and thought it would be a nice idea to re-plant my first Christmas tree. The one I bought stated that it was ideal for re-planting but didnt come with "balled " roots in burlap, which I've since learnt is ideal. It has been watered regularly and was outside in the pot to acclimitise for a few weeks before being planted after the worst of the ice and snow. It has been growing steadily more brown and I'm worried that it is dying - can anyone please advise, I am a complete novice but deeperate to save my tree if I can! Pic attached - is it completely dead or is there anything I could try to revive it?
    Thanks all!

IMG_3264.JPG

2. misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,782
    Look carefully for obvious signs of insect pests and diseases.

But my best guess is that you have a soil drainage problem, that the roots are rotting.

Normally, you'd expect the weeds directly under a tree to be a bit thinner than on open ground because both tree and weeds would be competing for water and nutrients in that spot. However, in your case, the weeds look too lush.

Dig a hole 1m away from the tree one spade deep, one spade wide and quickly fill it with water and watch how it drains away. If it pools and drains slowly then you have a waterlogging problem.

If this is the case, then I would uproot the tree, site it further away from the fence (it needs room to grow) and replant it using soil that has the same drainage properties as the compost that your tree originally came in and/or elevate it by planting in a raised mound.

Use grit, sharp sand, bark etc to amend the soil in order to improve drainage.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Centime

Centime Gardener

Ratings:
      +40
      @misterQ Ive dug the hole and t looks as though it is a waterlogging problem like you said, I will try moving the tree. Thanks for your help!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,895
      Personally, I think it is dying, probably had too much root damage when it was dug up.:smile:

• Centime

Centime Gardener

Ratings:
      +40
      Well it does look very brown and dead! But the bits underneath are still green and I'm ever the optimist - so I have re-planted now as per @misterQ 's advice, with some sand and a bit of grit, so fingers crossed and I'll update if it works ...

• Like Like x 1
      • Wannabe Gardener

Wannabe Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        I have a similar problem.

Potted spruce tree, which earlier this year I re-potted. It has since started to turn very brown on lower branches, and drop a lot of needles. Not got a clue why?

The pot is sat on slate chippings, but no saucer under it, but does get watered now and then.

Any ideas all you green fingered peeps?

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,374
        Can't really help without a photo, but my initial thoughts are to remove it from the pot and plant it out if possible. And by saying ' but does get watered now and then' that suggests a bit more would be a good place to start.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1