Re-potting a Phalaenopsis in Sphag Moss

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by longk, Dec 9, 2011.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I was recently given a rather miserable looking Phalaenopsis. To be honest, it didn’t really need a re-pot after I’d flushed the pot and medium, but I’ve done it anyway as I needed a subject for this blog.
    If there is any sign of a flower spike, delay the re-pot, unless it is absolutely necessary.
    Firstly, prepare the new pot. Drill a series of 5 or 6mm holes around the sides (watch your fingers) to improve air circulation and drainage. Wash the pot in hot water.
    DSC_1632.jpg

I use a wood drill………
    DSC_1633.jpg

I put the sphag moss and perlite in a bowl to soak.
    DSC_1635.jpg

Carefully remove the old medium. This can be a fiddly job. Washing the roots off under lukewarm running water as you go along helps. With a pair of clean and sharp scissors, trim of any dead or rotten roots.
    DSC_1634.jpg

Now the b@ll aching bit – refill the root ball with the sphag moss and perlite mix. Use a bamboo skewer to poke it right in there. All the time you need to hold the orchid and work with care, being careful not to break any part of the orchid and the roots.
    DSC_1636.jpg

Place some moss in the bottom of the pot…….
    DSC_1637.jpg

……….and carefully lower the packed rootball into the pot, using the skewer where needed. Gently pack more of the moss mix down the sides working carefully until the orchid is stable in the pot.
    DSC_1639.jpg
    What you are trying to achieve is to get enough in to make it reasonably tight and stable, but not so tight that there is no room for root growth or some air circulation.

This is what you will end up with…………
    DSC_1640.jpg

Leave it to drain for an hour or so before placing back in its original spot. It should not need any more water now for at least a week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +827
      This is a brilliant and helpful thread thankyou Longk

• Like Like x 1