Really Laid Back

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by shiney, May 23, 2008.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    This is another Oscar and he has adopted us. He has lived in our greenhouse for nearly two years and has a reserved place in the propagator that is heated all year round.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
      +48
      I remember Oscar, shiney. He's definately a permanent lodger:). Right at home.

cheers

• terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
    • Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      OSCAR'S DREAMS...
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Hi Shiney looks like Oscar is quiet at home now,looks like he is in 7th heaven:thumb::)

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,465
        Yes, he seems quite happy. Mrs shiney had cleaned up a little cut on one paw and clipped his nails and he just lay there whilst she did it. It is the first time she has done anything to him, apart from stroke him, and he wasn't at all nervous.

We think we have seen him around the area for about 10 years.

• Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
        +35
        Oh, he's lovely, Shiney!

Go on, admit that you love him and that you think of him as your cat. Don't keep saying that it is only Mrs Shiney who does.

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,465
        We just have a mutual respect for each other :).

Oh, all right - he rolls on his back and I rub his tummy :) - but we're just good friends :D :D

• Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Shiney why have you trimmed his nails?:eek: In all the years I have kept cats I have never ever trimmed their claws. apart from Lucky who develpoed curly nails aged 21 1/2 years.

They need them sharp to be able to catch their prey:confused:

• Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        :o Gulity as charged Kandy!

Hope Shiney doesn't mind me jumping in here...

I'm afraid I suggested it as Mrs Shiney was concerned about a few overly long claws which he had developed. I have seen plenty of cases of older cats who's claws grow too long and curl back into the pad and actually in-grow into the pad causing pain and infection and eventually lameness on the affected paw. Claws that get too long can also cause problems with snagging and getting torn from the nail bed causing problems there too. Most younger cats can keep their claws maintained fine, but some older cats who get less mobile need a helping hand keeping their claws at a healthy length.

I always cut the claws on my cats regularly. It makes cuddling them a more comfortable experience, stops the aforementioned ingrowing problem and does help reduce the amount of collateral damage the couches and carpets suffer. They all are outdoor cats and it does not appear to curtail their outdoor activities too much - I only clip off the tips and believe me they grow back and sharpen VERY quickly!

• Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Hi CM,yes I see what you mean and have read about other people cutting their cats nails to save the furniture and thinking about it I did have to cut the nails of our 21 1/2year old cat in the last few years before she died because they had started to curl round due to age and ill use because in the end she lost interest in hunting,which at that age any cat would I should think.

Because Shiney has said on here that Oscar catches birds and rabbits then it wouldn't matter how many times the claws were cut as you say they will soon grow back again.There would be no way that my two would sit still for two seconds to have their claws cut.Mr Kandy and I would soon be covered in blood if we tried:D

• fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        She looks lovely:)
        You take your life into your own hands trying to stroke the stomach of our cat - she wraps all four feet (claws out) and teeth around your hand :eek:

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,465
        Oscar quite often wraps his feet around our hands when we rub his tummy but he never gets his claws out.

Kandy, a couple of his claws were quite long and curly and one of them had a little damaged area alongside so Mrs shiney just clipped the end of his claws and bathed the damaged one (looked like a cut) in salt water. The salt water was in a cup and Mrs shiney just held his paw in it. He wasn't too keen on it being in water but sat there with his head on her lap. He also sat peacefully for his claw clipping and never pulled his paw away. He seems to have great confidence in her :thumb: :)

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,465
        Update

Oscar is now a very permanent part of Shineyland. Mrs Shiney's patients all love him (he's not allowed indoors but greets them when they arrive) and the house he lives in, inside the greenhouse, was bought for him by a patient. Another one has made a settee for him and others buy him blankets etc. When we go away we are never short of volunteers to come in and feed him and cuddle him. We have to arrange a rota :D

He follows Mrs Shiney around the garden all the time and is extremely affectionate. Yesterday she was sleeping in the sun on the bench in the garden and he decided to be a scarf. When I took this photo they were both fast asleep.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
        • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
          Ratings:
          +2,250