1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Mar 15, 2017.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,551
    How is 2017 going to look for you?

Whilst idly Googling, I came across the following site.They seem to have some unusual stuff and the prices seem to be quite modest. Buy plants online Flower Bulbs, Alpines, Hardy Tropicals

I have just put an order in for rhizomes of the following. The site says that they are all flowering size :-

Velutina.jpg
    Musa velutina. Grows to about 5 feet, and is supposed to produce small pink bananas in its second year. I currently have one that looks as though its on the verge of dying. So I don't want to pay a lot for a replacement. I suspect that it needs quite a bit of heat over winter - more than my 10C.

Cautleya.jpg
    Cautleya spicata. It's a member of the ginger family and grows to about 3 feet. It is deciduous and grows from a small rhizome. I bought 3 at £1.49 each - not expensive.

Curcuma.jpg
    Curcuma roscoeana. Another member of the ginger family - totally new to me. It looks really pretty. I have seen it described as an easy plant - but I killed another Curcuma over the winter, so I suspect that its not that easy.

Globba.jpg
    Globba schomburgkii. Who on earth calls a plant Globba :rolleyespink:? Another member of the ginger family that grows to about 3 feet. Also said to be easy to grow (possibly). Again at £1.99 it's surprisingly cheap for something so exotic.

Heliconia.jpg
    Heliconia rostrata. Heliconia is a close relative of Strelitzia, and bananas. It was Googling for a Heliconia that took me to this site. It is certainly one of the most spectacular Heliconia species, but I am not sure that it's the easiest - but you don't get a lot of choice, unless you are visiting Hawaii.

Tacca.jpg
    Tacca chanterii. This is a picture of my own plant from two years ago, which died on me. I have to thank @longk for the introduction to this fabulous, weird plant. I have tried three times to grow it from seed without success, so this time I am going to try a rhizome.

Do tell us what you are going to try in 2017.

• Like Like x 6
    • Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
      Ratings:
      +1,051
      Wow peters I will be looking on there was wanting a velutin and a heliconia myself after seeing them in Kew last year

• Like Like x 1
      • Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +965
        PeterS,
        That's a nice selection.

I have had some Aroids and Begonias from that nursery and they didn't do well for me. :sad:

• Informative Informative x 2
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,551
          That's a bit worrying Sirius.

They do say the rhizomes are flowering size - but they don't say how many years to flower. Luckily they are not too expensive - so I am willing to take a chance.

• Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
          Ratings:
          +1,051
          Hey peters did your order arrive was it any good so far please

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,551
          No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:

• Like Like x 1