1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for metal shed?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by hedgefog, Nov 12, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    Planning to get a new metal shed. I have never been keen on metal shed in the past, but that seems only choice for our back garden.

The old wooden shed is bad state full of holes and the foundation under the floor seems sunk into the ground, so the soil on the ground is visible through gaps of the floor.

There are couple of rain leaks too. But most serious problem is mice. I have noticed mice droppings in some of the boxes with books. I had to bin all the content in the boxes, and bleached the boxes.

So looking for a new metal shed this time. I have read reviews on metal sheds, and problem seems, thin low quality metals, possible damage from strong winds and nightmare assembling procedure with thousands of screws and nuts.

And I am not sure which one would be best make either.

Size I am considering is eight by six. Any recommendations or advice? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Think whatever you go for, its the base thats most important, if its not up to the job then you get the problems like you have now.

Many use wooden runners held by metal support stakes knocked in to bare ground but would suggest the support posts are concreted in or better still a concrete slab for the runners.

No first hand experience of metal or plastic sheds, but would think wooden ones will always be easier to maintain and repair, could you do that with the other types ?
    Plastics often fade in colour and can crack easily, Metal can rust if the edges are not treated and more easy to dent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      I have never had a metal shed so cannot comment on how easy it is to erect, use or maintain. But I can use logic and metal is heavy. One 8 x 6 shed sidewall would be approx 8 x 5.5 ft, for the metal to be of a good quality that I would be happy with it would be far too heavy to make into a kit form for the home user...it would be a health and safety issue I think. I make this best guess after handling many sheets of galvanised steel roofing (corrugated or wrinkly tin). One piece of this at 8 x 3 is heavy enough!

I did have a plastic shed that is now gone, the wind blew the roof of that finally. But before that it stood well, apart from constant sun made the trim brittle, eventually the moulded hasp and staple mechanism became brittle and snapped. Probably best sited in the shade to avoid that.

Mice are little buggers and will get through the smallest of gaps, with a wooden shed it is relatively simple to build in protection.

Bought wooden sheds are flimsy unless you spend serious amounts of money. A friend of mine at our allotment site bought a good one (8x6) 2 years ago, north of £500! but it will last. I think I could of built it myself for £300.

Looking at Ricky's post above and the first video where he builds a ladder rack, if you can build that, you can build a shed and you can build a strong one too for reasonable investment, treating every part of it as you go. Some extra timbers around the gaps of the doors when finished and a couple of mousetraps inside, and no more problems.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hi,

Just to add to the above, partic for wooden sheds, adding some simple and cheap diagonal timers braces to the sheds walls can really make a dramatic improvement to its strength.

• Like Like x 2
        • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
          +69
          Wow great info and advice. Thanks.

After reading more about metal shed negative reviews, I am now reconsidering options.

Building by myself sounds attractive option, but it will take long time and turn out to be more expensive in cost would be concern.

• Like Like x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Hi,

Yes the price of timber in diy amounts can be expensive, plus all the cutting, building and then treating the wood will more than likely cost a lot more than a ready made one.

I would pay a few pounds more and go for a Tongue and Groove Shiplac type rather than Overlap, giving your attention to the base, runners and some strengthening as mentioned above, should last 20 -30 years easy.

Assume it just used for garden tools etc ?

• Like Like x 3
            • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
              +69

Yes, mostly for storing garden tools, but there are other stuff stored too such as, engine oil, wind screen wash, bbq fuels, and some wood piles for wood carvings. Although most wood cuttings are thrown out since appearance of mice droppings.

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,836
                I would never buy from DIY Stores as the price of their timber is horrendous and have always bought/buy my timber for projects from the local Timber Yard to keep costs down, plus they will cut your timber to the required lengths should you need them to and get free delivery. Power tools always make a job easier as do strong metal right angle brackets should your wood jointing skills not be exactly A1. Take your time, hedgefog, and do a little research and thought about exactly what you need/want. SteveR and ricky have given great advice and food for thought as usual:love30::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
                  +69
                  Great advice and info, thank you Armandii.

Yes, we have couple of local timber yard, so should be able to go and pick the woods if needed.

I have also seen a DIY store, but mostly their stock seem cheap hand tools. Never bought anything from them, I think.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,201
                    Hi

Generally agree with @ARMANDII but do check the timbers first as some Timber yards can sell some rubbish like anywhere else, partic if you buy treated timber.

To say you can buy a T&G 8x6 shed for under £300 it a no contest in my book.

By the time you have the timber, all the fixings, added in the felt, window glazing and paint / wood preserver , not even thinking about the tools you will have to buy if you do not already have them..... and then you will have to do some careful plans to ensure each panel connects correctly to the next .....:rolleyespink:

If you were putting up a shed for some hobby, like a fish room or aviary etc then a custom build would perhaps be worthwhile, but as a simple garden shed, seems like hard work to me..:phew:

• Like Like x 2
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      I know what you mean, Ricky, but a long long friend of mine who is a skilled DIY man and has done some cracking carpentry work bought a large wooden shed from the local DIY Store as he thought the same thing. When guys delivered it they also put it together and on inspection friend found it was slightly out of kilter and also the rear panel was damaged. He pointed it out and basically the guys were not that interested. A trip down to the DIY Store ensured that the Manager came down to look at the shed and he tried some "flanneling" but in the end agreed to have the rear panel replaced. The guys came and replaced the panel and my friend not only discovered that the new panel had large knot holes in it but that on fitting a side panel had been damaged. It took another visit to the Store and the Manager agreeing to be present when the panels were replaced before the shed was properly done. That was a £750 "quality" shed but it was still not up to scratch..................a case of be careful what you buy and make sure when a shed is put together, either by the store or the person themselves, that everything is spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                        +10,302
                        I started making this a few years ago Summer house project one day it i will get round to finishing it and use it as a summer house atm its used as a shed and full of all sorts,

Pallet sheds are cheap to build and would make a nice project.
                        Stylish Sheds Made From Wood Pallets | Shed Design Plans
                        Another option would be a gravel board shed last years very easy to make a 6x6, four post 18 gravel boards and a bit of timber, posts work out about £10 each GB about the same price.
                        Gravel Board Shed

• Like Like x 1
                        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,097
                          My only experience of metal sheds is the Anderson shelter my dad erected on the plot, late 1940. I do believe it is still standing. The base was the ground with what became a well worn ash bed.

Using metal will perhaps give rise to condensation, so ventilation is a must. Concerning our four legged critters. These will find a way into whatever. For instance. My daughter in the New Forest recenty found a family of field mice had set up home in the bottom of one of her bee hives.

My shed/workshop is wooden and purchased ready made. I will always be grateful for it as Val bought it for me. Cost around £400 Supplied in sections and constructed of shiplap boards etc.

As we now live in a throwaway world, the actual craftsmanship is poor. Powered nail guns and staplers are often used, leading to nails etc missing the mark. I set down a concrete base, erected th struckture, lined the insied with thermal insulation, then sealed this with plywood sheeting. Having built the benches,I then installed the electrics.

Not having used it much since the loss of my wife. I did venture in one day, to be greeted by what must have been several families of mice, perhaps rats even. Following a couple of feeds of rat bait, my visitors soon left or whatever. All my life I have worked without gloves etc. Now due to having a skin pblem, I make use of sugical gloves.

I wish you all the best with your project.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                            Ratings:
                            +49,495
                            @hedgefog - as someone who has erected, and owns a metal shed my advice is DO NOT DO IT!!!

I spent a small fortune making a base, then erecting the shed, and the shed itself was not cheap. It took two of us a couple of days to put up (not counting the building of the base), and within weeks I discovered that it leaks.

I spent a small fortune on waterproofing, including special paint around the base which had some degree of success, but I visited my shed for the first time in many months recently as I needed my multimeter - - multimeter is completely badgered as it got soaked. Shed still leaks. I still do not know what tools etc I will have lost, but I can guarantee one thing - as soon as I am fit enough, and can afford to do so, that shed is gone.

Build your own, or consider the Keter range of plastic sheds as I believe they are much better than the likes of mine (Rangemaster if I remember correctly).

• Like Like x 1
                            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                              +8,083
                              Perhaps not totally relevant but I have lots of experience of metal sheds through years of being inside them while involved with horses. They are usually stifling hot in summer but worse is the hideous condensation during the winter. I know nobody is going to be spending hours in a garden shed but any metal tools stored I doubt would fare well. Husband is involved in getting a big barn type structure built to accommodate the model railway club he belongs to. Obviously there will be plenty of metal objects in the structure and because of the condensation issues they are having to spend a great deal of extra money on insulation.

• Like Like x 2