Recommendation for purchasing asparagus

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by hikiwari, Apr 16, 2024.

1. hikiwari

hikiwari Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hello,

Three years ago I purchased 12 asparagus crowns from Homebase that were on special offer. All were planted correctly but only five of them have grown spears.

Two years ago I planted 10 crowns purchased from a garden centre but only one has grown a spear.

This year I want to plant some more and I saw the size of the crowns being planted on a UK YouTube video and they were massive (see pic) compared to the small crowns I have previously planted with maybe on four or five roots.

Can anyone suggest a quality mail order supplier please?

Screenshot 2024-04-16 115802.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,118
      The advice in gardening mags on asparagus is to plant young ones with smaller roots as they get going better, but here in France they only seem to sell older crowns with big roots. I don't grow it anymore, since it got infested with bindweed.

Make sure the roots are plump, sometimes you find dried out roots which can be a lost cause.

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +15,334
        I've no experience of buying them in the UK, but wherever you get them from, they should specify 1, 2 or 3 - year-old crowns. The older they are, the bigger they'll be. You do need patience when it comes to asparagus, though. Amending the soil with organic matter and sand does help them get established, as does keeping the bed absolutely weed-free.

• Like Like x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,352
          try these out and lots of varieties I havnt bought asparagus but I have had vines fruit trees etc great quality ...

do your research on the variety best for you plus they need a sunny spot and well drained no waterlogging over winter as the roots will rot ,, the secret is preparing the ground and buying good stock
          Pomona Fruits (have a google)

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: May 22, 2024
          • hikiwari

hikiwari Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +9
            I'm expanding an established bed.
            I purchased from James McIntyre & Sons in the end. www.james-mcintyre.co.uk
            V good crowns like the example picture in my opening post.

• Like Like x 1