Recommendations for Evergreen Trees/Shrubs for Privacy in a Small Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sunshinesouth, Aug 15, 2024.

1. sunshinesouth

sunshinesouth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on choosing evergreen trees or shrubs that I can plant in my small garden to create some privacy from my neighbours, please see attached picture. IMG_9867.JPG I’d like something that adds beauty to the space but doesn’t grow too tall or develop a thick trunk. Ideally, I’m looking for plants that can be pruned annually to keep them manageable.

Here are my key requirements:

• Evergreen, to provide year-round privacy.
    • Doesn’t grow very tall (preferably something I can keep under control with pruning).
    • Not too large in terms of bark/trunk size.
    • Adds aesthetic value to the garden.
    Does anyone have suggestions for plants that might fit these criteria? I’d love to hear your experiences and any tips you might have on keeping them well-maintained.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,500
  3. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    The strawberry tree, Arbutus unedo, is evergreen with bright shiny leaves and sprays of white flowers which develop into fruits like strawberries, popular with blackbirds. It doesn’t usually need pruning but can be shaped and maintained to whatever height you prefer.

• Informative Informative x 1