1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by herriotfan, Sep 21, 2016.

1. herriotfan

herriotfan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I'm going to get a small greenhouse and would like some of you lovely gardeners with experience to recommend a good make.
    My current front runner is a Rhino but does anyone have any better suggestions?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,041
    Can't go wrong with a Rhino

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,246
  4. herriotfan

herriotfan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Thank you for that link.
    I'm lucky enough to live near the Greenhouses Direct show place at Phillimores so I popped along yesterday for a while.
    I've fallen in love with the Rhino and just wish I had a bigger garden and deeper pockets. :wub2:
    My goodness this gardening bug has bitten me hard!!!

:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,041
      Good idea to see them first herriotfan. They are not the cheapest but I think they are the best value considering their build quality. Also they have a plethora of options, make sure you get at least a couple of autovents - the smaller the ghouse the more important ventilation (as the proportion of glass to internal volume is bigger so they can heat up very quickly). If it's a sunny position then consider their shading blinds too.

We have had lots of new greenhouse threads on here so it would be worth searching for other tips to do with heating, watering and what to grow in them :dbgrtmb:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
        +134
        If its for all year round use, a wooden greenhouse is a good choice.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        I have a Rhino @herriotfan, bought principally because of the build quality as I live in the countryside in Scotland ie not the most benign weather so a greenhouse has to be strongly built.I've had it now for 3 seasons and am extremely happy with it. I'm lucky and have a big garden so bought a 20ftx8ft which as per usual with most gardeners isn't big enough. However big you have, it gets stuffed with plants and you yearn for more room!
        Just a suggestion, if the budget is a bit tight, perhaps have a look on the likes of Gumtree for a 2nd hand 1. Usually they move quite well if a decent make to start with (moved/bought 2nd hand 5 times), all were fine altho often you will have to buy extra glass which is seldom a big issue. Sizewise I would perhaps sacrifice garden area to get something of a decent size. As JWK has already mentioned, small greenhouses can be quite difficult to stop from getting too hot.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
          Ratings:
          +3,970
          My new Rhinos, just been delivered and the fitter comes to build it on Friday, I've gone for the 8x12 as I'm pushed for room, but should feed the two of us comfortably

• Like Like x 1